Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine Flu at Nursery

(19 Posts)
MissJoanHolloway Mon 20-Jul-09 18:32:01

Should I stop sending my child? There is one case reported. I am concerned as I also have a baby as well as my toddler.

What has anyone else out there done?

MissJoanHolloway Mon 20-Jul-09 18:32:57

I appreciate that it is everywhere but how casual an attitude is sensible?

bigchris Mon 20-Jul-09 18:34:23

the advice is to keep the nursery open

you can catch it sitting next to someone on the bus so it will make nodifference not sending them

we've got it at our nursery and we're still sending the dcs

MissJoanHolloway Mon 20-Jul-09 18:44:07

ok thanks

MissJoanHolloway Mon 20-Jul-09 18:57:44

the guardian has an article advocating the close of schools in sept. to contain the flu.

there seem to be two schools of thought:

carry on as normal and catch it

vs

try not to catch it or spread it

sarah293 Mon 20-Jul-09 18:59:40

Message withdrawn

MaggieVirgo Mon 20-Jul-09 19:00:12

WE're ALL going to get it I think. I would rather get it sooner than later, while there is still tamiflu left, while doctors and nurses aren't too jaded with the whole thing, before the virus has a chance to mutate or become resistant to tamiflu (that's an IF).

Sooner is better than later Imo.

MissJoanHolloway Mon 20-Jul-09 19:06:02

It is so awful....

Of all the bad times to have young children :-(

I am concerned about the baby getting ill or taking Tamiflu which I read has not been tested on babies

sarah293 Tue 21-Jul-09 09:46:46

Message withdrawn

rubyslippers Tue 21-Jul-09 09:51:36

there is a case at DS's nursery (he is 3)

am amazed it has taken this long for it to happen

just keep calm and carry on

I am 29 weeks pg and "high risk" but you can't quarantine yourself away

just pay extra attention to hand washing - this seems to be good advice

Tee2072 Tue 21-Jul-09 09:54:11

Message withdrawn

poshtottie Tue 21-Jul-09 10:45:56

I rang my nursery this morning to find out if they had any more cases since ds was there last week. They have had two suspected cases the week before last.

As he only goes one afternoon I wondered if it was worth the risk but hell its raining and Mil as offered to take me out for a late lunch so I'm sending him.

I wouldn't judge you though if you decided not to send your child especially if you have a young baby aswell.

MissJoanHolloway Tue 21-Jul-09 10:46:04

"And don't bother to flame me, I'm hiding the thread as soon as I'm done posting this. "

I think you'll find that you are the only baby here Tee2072.

I have several relatives who died in earlier swine flu epidemics and many people have very ill children at the moment and are having very stressful pregnancies.

Learn some manners and grow up please.

MaDuggar Tue 21-Jul-09 11:07:51

there have been other swine flu epidemics??

steviesgirl Tue 21-Jul-09 17:07:23

Your attitude has "flamed me" Tee2072! I think you're the one with the problem here. Under 5's are actually a vulnerable age group with regards to SF, so people are bound to be concerned, especially if they have young babies. Your attitude stinks, and as for implying that OP is not sane. Who the hell are you!?

Ef-off and get a life! I've reported your nasty post btw!

steviesgirl Tue 21-Jul-09 17:14:58

Hmm, I wonder if you'll say "it's just the flu" when your precious young baby catches it?

sarah293 Tue 21-Jul-09 19:30:58

Message withdrawn

steviesgirl Tue 21-Jul-09 19:52:00

I'm just reacting to how rude that other poster was more than anything. Even if people are a little too concerned, there's no need for someone to be so bloody horrible.

sarah293 Tue 21-Jul-09 19:57:55

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now