Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would we be mad to move back to London now - pg and 2 year old

(7 Posts)
sleeepless Sun 19-Jul-09 20:35:49

Ok, to cut a long story short, we moved out of London last year, it hasn't worked out, and we're now planning to move back for a while (have friends, family, more support etc there) till we figure out where we want to be long term.

But London is obviously hardest hit by swine flu (and I guess will continue to be so) so it is beginning to seem crazy to knowingly put my 2 year old and unborn child (I'm 3 months pregnant) at greater risk.

What do you think? Would you do it anyway? Or would it be insanity??

thegrammerpolice Sun 19-Jul-09 20:51:31

I think you'd be mad not to for this reason.
Unless you're living in the middle of nowhere, it's going to spread everywhere within the next few months so I don't see how the risk will be that different.

theyoungvisiter Sun 19-Jul-09 20:54:52

I live in N London. There are plenty of reasons not to move to London but I would not rank swine flu on the list!

Plus you could argue Devil's advocate - hospitals here arguably have the highest level of expertise, so if you were unlucky enough to contract a serious case you would probably be well looked after.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 19-Jul-09 21:07:13

Crumbs, if thats your only reason, go for it!

sleeepless Sun 19-Jul-09 21:46:59

Thanks for replies. I know it's likely that it'll spread everywhere but just seems so much more likely we'll catch it there - more people, more crowded places/transport etc, dh commuting into town everyday. Also, gov't advice for pg women at the moment is to avoid unnecessary travel and crowded places. It seems as though a (not really necessary) move to London goes against this slightly...

devotion Sun 19-Jul-09 22:31:01

my mil and fil live in folkestone kent and they have swine flu, we're in london and we dont... well no

ButterbeerAndLemon Sun 19-Jul-09 23:13:49

If that's your only reason, go for it. While it's more widespread in London at the moment, I suspect that means the worst of it will be over in London while other areas of the country are only just warming up.

When would you be actually moving?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now