Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ENT issues in kids, and swine flu?

(7 Posts)
Elibean Sun 19-Jul-09 20:22:42

Not sure whether to post here or in Children's Health, but:

dd2 has laryngomalacia, somewhat better after an op in January (she's 2.5 now) to snip cartilage, and remove tonsils and adenoids. She had terrible sleep apnoea before, and wasn't eating much. She's a lot better now, food fine, no real apnoea...but still v noisy breathing at night, and snores like a trooper.

I'd have been worried sick about her last winter with flu (she had the flu jab for seasonal as it was) but as it is...I've no idea whether she's much more at risk or not. I am going to try and talk to her surgeon on the phone this week, but wondered if anyone has any ideas??

Lower respiratory tract infection isn't her weak point, its more upper (she nearly died of RSV bronchiolitis at 4 weeks old).

Elibean Sun 19-Jul-09 20:23:33

Meant to say, dd1's class have a few cases, hence anticipating it sometime soon!

Elibean Sun 19-Jul-09 21:19:50

bump?

alittleteapot Sun 19-Jul-09 21:28:38

Hi Elibean

I think it's a good idea to speak to her surgeon asap this week, only he or she can tell you what extra precautions if any you need to take. Personally I also think that in a case like this it is worth being a bit extra cautious re crowds etc. I'm sure she would be absolutely fine but it's an extra thing she could really do without. I'm no expert but also have ENT issues so sympathise with your concerns. In terms of your other dd maybe just be really vigilant about hand hygiene - maybe antibacterial wipes for her hands when you pick her up. A bit anal but worth it I reckon.

As I say, no expert but didn't want your post to go unanswered.

Elibean Sun 19-Jul-09 22:12:09

thanks, alittleteapot (good name!), will do. Am already doing the hand wipes for dd1 on way home from school, too. Will phone surgeon tomorrow.

MrsOlf Mon 20-Jul-09 09:45:04

Hi Elibean

Do let me know what your surgeon says. DD2 (8 months) had bronchiolitis at 6 weeks and we were in hospital for a week (would have been longer but they were kicking people out as it was 2 days before Christmas - we spent the whole of Christmas on the verge of rushing back to A&E due to breathing difficulties...)

Thank you!

Elibean Mon 20-Jul-09 11:16:14

I will, when I can get hold of him hmm

Though its more the laryngomalacia he'll refer to than the babyhood bronch, I think - dd has never had any particular repercussions from the RSV, thankfully!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now