Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Are schools obliged?

(18 Posts)
willowsthedog Sun 19-Jul-09 18:48:26

to inform parents if they have a confirmed case od swine flu amongst staff and pupils?

I was just wondering

Thanks
Zoe

corblimeymadam Sun 19-Jul-09 19:55:48

Message withdrawn

wannaBe Sun 19-Jul-09 19:57:58

there is no longer such a thing as a confirmed case of swine flu as diagnosis is all done over the phone.

There is a standard letter which schools send out to parents in the event of a case of swine flu, but tbh it's entirely possible that parents don't inform the school either..

Ripeberry Sun 19-Jul-09 20:01:13

I know for a fact that parents are not telling the school (ours). Their child is taking Tamiflu and the school know that he had to go home at lunchtime with a fever.
End of term, not their problem now[ hmm]

Elibean Sun 19-Jul-09 20:01:18

dd's school didn't tell us that a boy in dd's class has probable swine flu. But its 'probable', these days.

willowsthedog Sun 19-Jul-09 20:03:17

Hi sorry i didn't make myself clear, i was aware that they are no longer testing but i sort of mean't that if a parent had informed the school that a dr had diagnosed a suspected case then the school had to inform the parents, or whether it was just up to the school and their policies

Zoe

tryingtobemarypoppins Sun 19-Jul-09 20:18:14

willowI don't really see how it makes a difference if you know or not.......and I am a 10 week pregnant teacher.

holdingittogether Sun 19-Jul-09 20:22:55

We had a letter when a teacher was suspect swine flu. The letter also said school was "business as usual". Had standard q&a type letter come home too.

mynaughtylittlesister Sun 19-Jul-09 20:24:24

We were informed this morning from DD school that a girl who had been on DDs boat had been confirmed with swine flu. (DD has just returned from a school trip to the Norfolk Broads) Was really surprised they rang on a Sunday morning.

wannaBe Sun 19-Jul-09 20:30:15

in answer to the op - I think it's down to the local LEA tbh. As soon as swine flu became apparent schools will have been issued with guidance from the LEA wrt swine flu and planning for it. But tbh while schools would mostly take the decision to advise parents, doing so won't actually achieve anything will it? Once a case has been "confirmed" the child has already been in contact, so what does telling parents achieve? Anyone who hasn't been on another planet for the past three months knows what the symptoms are anyway...

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 19-Jul-09 20:32:08

We have not had a letter. I had to ask. Our County council appears to be asking schools not to inform parents. Parents with vulnerable children need to know so that they can make an informed decision about what to do.

corblimeymadam Sun 19-Jul-09 20:35:10

Message withdrawn

Rachmumoftwo Sun 19-Jul-09 20:36:47

But if swine flu is everywhere, it makes no difference if the school informs you. If you have vulnerable children, make the decision for yourself, don't wait for the school to tell you what to do. If I was worried, I would take my kids out- a few days off now won't damage their education.

willowsthedog Sun 19-Jul-09 20:37:24

ohyoubadkitten
that was sort of my reason for asking the question - having a child that suffers with Asthma and other health problems i would prefer to be informed. Our school is not known for its erm how shall we say it 'upfrontness' and i wondered if they HAD to inform. we still have a week to go with term and although we are not in an area which has had alot of cases i have a feeling that for us the summer holidays will be more probamatic as we are lucky enough to live in a holiday destination - although i do pity anyone who comes down our way as it seems to have rained non stop for the last 10 days!!
Zoe

tryingtobemarypoppins Sun 19-Jul-09 20:41:03

Sorry ladies, but I still don't see how it helps to know 'who'

We need to be on the look out for symptoms anyway. In terms of vulnerable children, they are no less vulnerable by knowing if someone in their class has SF. Personally I think vulnerable children and pregnant teachers should not be in school now its the end of term. I still have to go tomorrow though.

Rachmumoftwo Sun 19-Jul-09 20:45:48

Have the day off MaryPoppins

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 19-Jul-09 20:50:50

Don't need to know 'who' - just if theres a case. 'Who breaks' confidentiality. If theres no suspected cases then it seems a pity to miss the end of term with all the fun they have. I asked school so that I had an official answer to base my decision on about this week rather than relying on rumour and hearsay. School have been supportive of my decision either way.

Mind you, being practical about it, I can't imagine theres many schools left without suspected cases.

tryingtobemarypoppins Sun 19-Jul-09 20:55:02

But I want my presents Rachmumoftwoblush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now