Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any pregnant ladies on here who have survived swine flu?

(31 Posts)
BEGEMOTH Sun 19-Jul-09 17:49:34

Hi, I'm 35 weeks pregnant with a two year old son.

The news is making me fairly anxious, with regards to myself and my son.

So I just wondered if there are any pregnant ladies out there who have had swine flu and what their experience was? Or any parents out there, whose young kids had had it and what their experience was? Really just to get some perspective/reassurance.

BEGEMOTH Sun 19-Jul-09 18:05:48

bump

DarrellRivers Sun 19-Jul-09 18:07:15

No-one has survived begemoth grin

BEGEMOTH Sun 19-Jul-09 18:13:45

Yes, that was my conclusion too after the latest onslaught from our news services. hmm

DarrellRivers Sun 19-Jul-09 18:15:07

This is post-apocolyptic mumsnet
Just me and you smile

BEGEMOTH Sun 19-Jul-09 18:22:15

There's a thought. Well, at least we don't have to worry about catching it anymore.

devotion Mon 20-Jul-09 09:46:23

Just bumping this for you as I am pregnant and interested in hearing about this.

I'm surprised there are not more replies?

Anyone?

Haribosmummy Mon 20-Jul-09 09:56:44

I'm 38 weeks PG and have a 1YO, so also interested.

I thought DS had swine flu about a week ago - he had all the symptoms... took him to the docs who REFUSED to check his throat hmm (did check everything else though!) 3 days later (his temp. was awful and he was pretty crook) he was fine again.

No idea if it was or wasn't swine flu, but rather hoping it was now!!!

I'm still avoiding crowds and public transport grin

ChezP Mon 20-Jul-09 10:03:30

Am only 5 weeks pregnant with 2 yr ds so also feeling abit freaked out by the wall to wall 'pregnant women and under fives are all going to die' news

have a friend though who is off this week, not pregnant but looks like swine flu - she has 2 under 5's and their nanny also was off last week with swine flu, I had coffee with her on friday (before i knew I was pregnant) and am feeling not so great today - will keep you posted

She says that although she feels terrible she is ok

ChezP Mon 20-Jul-09 10:06:24

and her nanny is back this week so she is over the worst (although also not pregnant)

Hawkmoth Mon 20-Jul-09 10:10:12

Are we going to die then? Hm.

Cheepz Mon 20-Jul-09 10:24:18

so it would seem - wall to wall death of rpegnant women (although no pregnant women actually died yet) 2 women who recently gave birth who had other health problems died but no pregnant women.

media, disproportionate reporting perhaps?

Hawkmoth Mon 20-Jul-09 10:58:56

Maybe in this warm weather the sight of us waddling round like hippos is distateful... 2009 is going to be the summer of skinny ladies while we sweat and cower inside!

Cheepz Mon 20-Jul-09 11:03:39

think you may have hit the nail on the head - although since only 5 weeks am hoping to get through another 30 before the full waddle is back

AmazingBouncingFerret Mon 20-Jul-09 11:04:50

My DH has it and I have had a sore throat since yesterday. Im 20 weeks pregnant and have a 2 and a half year old.
If you suddenly realise that my nickname is no longer appearing you know what has happened!

Cheepz Mon 20-Jul-09 11:27:56

Guess you might just be amazing ferret until you get your bounce back but will keep an eye out - for gods sake make sure you come back and post something or we will all assume the worst!

BEGEMOTH Mon 20-Jul-09 18:12:42

I hope ChezP and AmazingBouncingFerret are ok. And that they let us know!

Hawkmoth: Yes, I agree. But no-one needs be offended by the very sight of me because I can barely get down the stairs these days. I'm following the guidelines through default.

Several of the spokespeople keep reporting on how mild this flu is and how most pregnant ladies and small kids recover quickly but they don't give details. I love a good statistics.
Instead tthey focus on the tragic deaths of the little girl, the baby, the pregnant lady with underlying health problems and the woman who had recently given birth.

It would be nice to hear from those people who have recovered or seen there kids through it.

Of course it's going to be difficult to know if they've even had swine flu as apparently they don't test for it anymore?

Cheepz Mon 20-Jul-09 18:46:49

this is chezp - just changed nickname earlier to confuse everyone wink

am home from work as have sore throat, but not feeling too rough so might just be a cold, or abit run down on account of foetus stealing all good vitamins!

had a dicky tum earlier but more from anxiety because of the iresponsible repoting i suspect than any significant health issue.

spoke to friend earlier and she said the tamiflu is helping alot with her symptoms and that is just like bad flu

also spoke to the surgery earlier about checking in appointment and mentioned sore throat and she said i wouldn't have to stay away on that basis and that there are lots of other bugs about which i am sure is what i have

did my shopping online today though to avoid supermarket .... it was actually way less stressful too!

puffylovett Mon 20-Jul-09 18:53:40

Can't say for sure that I actually had it, as wasn't swabbed. But a few weeks back I had the most horrific virus for 48 hours that matched every single symptom. Fast onset, high fever, dicky tum, all over aching, coughing, bad throat etc etc.

I was over it the following day - it went as quickly as it came. HOWEVER it has left me feeling very tired for a good few weeks, although that could also be the fact that I'm 32 weeks, have a toddler and am also anaemic grin

I didn't feel any worse than the last time I had flu, which was years ago.

I'm not worrying TBH - I think there's a lot of blowing things out of proportion going on. I hope I HAVE had it, as then DC2 will get the antibodies from my milk should it develop it after birth....

BEGEMOTH Mon 20-Jul-09 19:30:36

ChezP and Puffylovett, thanks, that is pretty much what I wanted to know.

It is blown out of proportion isn't it.

AmazingBouncingFerret Tue 21-Jul-09 07:57:59

Just thought id best say that I havent died. DH no longer has a temperature. DS seems to have not caught it <touches wood> and my sore throat has gone.

GentlyDoesIt Tue 21-Jul-09 09:43:44

I'm 35 weeks, just started maternity leave. Me and DH have had aches & pains, headaches, sore throats and dry coughs for 3 days now, but DH has continued to work (from home) and I have been able to do a bit of pre-baby nesting, although I am very breathless.

TBH we've dismissed it as a summer cold, but last night DD (6) developed a raging temperature and went very shivery, non-responsive and floppy. Again, not panicked, but did think "This must be the swine flu, then."

I phoned the NHS Direct line for a bit of advice and there was a recorded message basically saying "If you think you might have swine flu, GO AWAY" (Charlie Brooker style) which made me chuckle.

Anyway this morning DD is sitting up on the sofa bed and weakly demanding DVDs, while I cater to her wishes between lie-downs with a book.

Someone on the radio yesterday said "If there was a £50 note in your back garden and you would make the effort to go outside to get it, then you haven't got swine flu!" Well, I certainly would, so by that test we're fine.

Basically, we all feel really crap but it only gets an 8/10. No-one is bedridden, but we are all in our pyjamas and gravitating around the sofa bed.

I've absolutely no idea if it's swine flu and I'm not about to waste any HCP's time with it, so will never know.

Cheepz Tue 21-Jul-09 10:30:10

thought would update, still have sore throat which i think is from a coldand feel knackered but then am in early stages of pregnancy so thats pretty business as usual, was with the doctor this morning to do booking in for pregnancy and she basically said don't fret unless you get a fever - over 38 degrees, if you get a fever for more than 12 hours get in touch and we will sort a prescription for antivirals, but sore throats and runny noses just crack on!

she said the media has gone nuts and its all disproportionate to the risks. she also said the notion of postponing getting pregnant or of pregnant women shutting themselves up at home in biohazard suits was ridiculous when measured against the risks.

minxofmancunia Tue 21-Jul-09 10:49:35

am 32 weeks pg, 3 weeks ago had a runny nose, vicious sore throat, temp, achy muscles and cough, took 2 days off work slept solidly and the bulk of the symptoms went was just left with a horrible blocked sinusy bright green catarghh prob (tmi) for 10 days or so which then cleared up of it's own accord.

Dismissed it as a summer cold which had affected me badly cos of being pg, esp as dd (2.10) had just had a sore throat and snotty nose. Could have been sf, don't know am better now though but v v tired (again prob due to pg).

pootle09 Tue 21-Jul-09 11:26:18

Just wondering if any of you pregnant ladies will get the vaccine when it becomes available??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now