Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

its all a mess isn't it?

(55 Posts)
sarah293 Sun 19-Jul-09 13:26:49

Message withdrawn

EldonAve Sun 19-Jul-09 13:38:41

I thought you were supposed to send a friend to get it?

sarah293 Sun 19-Jul-09 13:39:55

Message withdrawn

littlelamb Sun 19-Jul-09 13:39:56

I have to say I was a bit surprised to see the advice to pregnant women and those with small children this morning. Took me a while to think, oh, that's me. WHat do they class as unnecessay travel? Like you I don't drive so we mainly walk and go by bus. Yesterday we were on a train, packed in like sardines. I'm most worried about ds as he has had a temperature and not been himself for a few days now. He seems a bit brighter this morning, but as they're no longer seeing people, if I had rung yesterday when he was showing 2 or 3 symptoms he would have been diagnosed as having swine flu hmm I don't really know what to think about it all. I was 'diagnosed' over the phone a few weeks ago and I did feel rough but I don't now know wether to believe I had it or not. If I get ill I'm the only one here with 2 children. I'm buying extra beans today just in case wink

sarah293 Sun 19-Jul-09 13:40:39

Message withdrawn

littlelamb Sun 19-Jul-09 13:41:30

And I have to say, all the friends I would ask to help me out to go and get medicine are either pregnant or have small children themselves, so what then? I have visons of a big red X being painted on the door and speaking to people through my letterbox

littlelamb Sun 19-Jul-09 13:42:14

<adds chocolate to the list>
It will be cancelled out by all the D & V so it doesn't count wink
<adds kettle chips too. YOu can never be too careful>

pigswithfludontfly Sun 19-Jul-09 13:42:53

Sorry to hear this Riven.
There are no deliveries in our area, you certainly do have to go and collect which in some cases must be really difficult.

30 mile round trips is ridiculous. Which area are you in roughly?

onagar Sun 19-Jul-09 13:46:58

Farce is right. From the start they've been refusing to find out who really had it while they gave out press releases with figures on the spread.

Presumably they've been getting their information from their spirit guides.

sarah293 Sun 19-Jul-09 13:47:51

Message withdrawn

EldonAve Sun 19-Jul-09 14:11:13

I think trying to avoid spreading it is too little too late now esp in London
I'm not going to stay quarantined if you can't tell if it's SFlu or regular flu

mrsbean78 Sun 19-Jul-09 20:02:50

Hey, it's all okay!
Now they say that the advice was only meant for the 'particularly concerned'.

Of course! Tell the REALLY anxious that they SHOULD be anxious, thereby panicking the rest of us! What an excellent strategy from the Public Health team!

What does 'particularly concerned' mean? A raving loony? Your average crazed, hysterical first-time-mum-to-be? People like me with asthma and other underlying health conditions?

"Most should carry on as normal" but anyone "especially worried" can take extra precautions.

Idiots.

holdingittogether Sun 19-Jul-09 20:29:03

I flip from being very concerned to what a load of rubbish every 5 mins. I can't find any concrete advice anywhere. I want to be responsible and protect my family and others but at the moment life has to go on as normal surely??

corblimeymadam Sun 19-Jul-09 20:29:09

Message withdrawn

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sun 19-Jul-09 20:32:58

according to the website and the list of symptoms, DD and I have supposedly had it, along with DH, my mum, dad and one of my sisters. I'm a bit hmm as to whether we have had it or not.

EldonAve Sun 19-Jul-09 20:34:40

Life is so risky for the immunosuppressed so they should just stay home

Do you always stay home with flu?

corblimeymadam Sun 19-Jul-09 20:37:17

Message withdrawn

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 19-Jul-09 20:37:18

Absolutely Belgianbun. I think that attitude just shows a lack of understanding - to go out and deliberately not care that you are infecting people who could very well have a poor reaction to the bug just stinks tbh. Flu is one of the big killers every year in the world - to say 'oh well a few more infected doesn't matter' is crap.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 19-Jul-09 20:38:20

EldonAve - actually, yes I do. Not that I've had it often in life 2 or 3 times. Because nobody wants flu.

holdingittogether Sun 19-Jul-09 20:41:53

I have always thought flu was something really nasty, properly knocks you out. I don't think i have ever had proper flu. Yes I've had bad colds which felt pretty rotten but felt better after a day or so. When we get into the autumn/winter it is going to be even harder to tell isn't it.

noddyholder Sun 19-Jul-09 20:43:31

I am immunosuppressed and have had 2 transplants.Also have heart condition and I have been told to carry on as per usual and my whole family will be treated if any one of us shows symptoms.My dp really wants me to have the tamiflu at home 'in case' but the doctors have said it is only available once symptomatic.I must admit when I get really worried i am tempted to tell a white lie blush shock

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 19-Jul-09 20:47:06

It is going to be hard to tell holdingittogether especially when some people are getting it more like a bad cold. Fortunately its not yet winter so its easier for people to assume that if they have flu symptoms then its quite likely to be SF.

Goodness knows what its going to be like in the winter if this doesn't die down quickly or resurges.

dinny Sun 19-Jul-09 20:47:40

surely those with flu don't go out anyway, as they feel so shit..?

TotalChaos Sun 19-Jul-09 20:48:36

yep, agree with you and Onagar Riven.

wannaBe Sun 19-Jul-09 20:48:48

but what happens if you have no choice? What happens if you have no friends or family nearby who can go to the shops for you/take the kids to/from school etc?

I've just had it (aledgedly), and I was fortunate that my dh was allowed to work from home last week so i didn't have to leave the house. But what of those people who don't have that option?

Most people can stay at home but some really have no choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now