Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If you or your child is in good health...

(7 Posts)
seeker Sun 19-Jul-09 07:57:05

..would you give/take anti virals if they showed any symptoms of flu?

ANd would you vaccinate when the vaccine becomes available

littleboyblue Sun 19-Jul-09 08:01:20

Unsure. The thing that has me thinking is, they say that people are recovering well if they are otherwise healthy and that deaths have only resulted in people that have underlaying health issues, but then why the big panic of getting everyone vaccinated? They must predict that it will mutate or something and lots of healthy people will lose their lives.
But then I heard on the news yesterday that they are going to start issuing the vaccine before it has been properly tested.....

LIZS Sun 19-Jul-09 08:04:25

I've had flu symptoms for last 4 days and ad in our local paper suggested no need to make contact so no reporting or prescription for tamiflu. Not sure about vaccine yet. I'd rather they prioritise the more at risk groups and tested in case of immunity first.

PeppermintPatty Sun 19-Jul-09 08:23:50

Yes I would give DD anti-virals and vaccinate too. She is only 2 though and the advice is that children under 5 are at more risk.

I had the chance to get a seasonal flu vaccination at work last year but I turned it down as I never get flu.

Then of course I got flu and DD caught it off me blush She was quite ill for a week and lost a lot of weight. I felt bad about that

lockets Sun 19-Jul-09 08:50:56

Message withdrawn

MaryHuff Sun 19-Jul-09 09:48:44

Definitely not vaccinate.

Might give Tamiflu to DD1 (3.5), depending on how bad she was. Definitely wouldn't give it to DD2 (6 weeks) as it is not licensed for under 1s.

Would not take it myself, not sure what DH would do.

Fennel Sun 19-Jul-09 09:51:30

Not if it were only as effective as Tamiflu for normal flu, say, and just slightly lessens the severity of symptoms. Maybe yes if it were massively effective in stopping people getting flu, but I suppose that's not likely, as Tamiflu doesn't work like that.

Also I'd probably think other people needed the anti-virals more, given that we are all robustly healthy here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now