Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should I call the Doctor?

(19 Posts)
Julezboo Sat 18-Jul-09 20:58:15

It's me thats ill, really stiff neck, headache that hasn't got any better with pain killers, cough, achy, sneezing...

Girl in work came back from US on wed, rung in sick and then came back into work thurs, she was cold/ fluey...

Can't decide, although if headache doesnt let up I will be calling doc

Elibean Sat 18-Jul-09 21:09:00

You poor thing, sounds awful.

Do you have a fever? Stiff neck and headache are fairly standard with fever, and, it seems, with swine flu - but no harm in calling a doc and talking to them anyway. Always best to play safe, IMO.

Julezboo Sat 18-Jul-09 21:55:34

don't have a fever... just feel really crapola

MartinBlankWasMyFirstLove Sat 18-Jul-09 21:57:28

I think if no temp, no swine flu?

JudyBlume1019 Sat 18-Jul-09 21:57:29

call them, they'll probably give you a number for a sf helpline who will diagnose you over the phone, and organise a prescription for tamiflu. If you want the drugs, best get them asap

lal123 Sat 18-Jul-09 21:58:03

how long have you been feeling bad? To be honest I'd probably just dose up on paracetemol/ibruprofen and sit it out.

JudyBlume1019 Sat 18-Jul-09 21:58:05

yes, you're unlikely to get a + diagnosis without fever

ilovetochat Sat 18-Jul-09 21:58:19

i saw the doc thurs with a very stiff neck, sore throat, cold, headache and nausea.
she said its probably a viral infection and gave me ibuprofen and antibiotics but if i got a high temp or d&v to phone back.
my neck still very achey but no temp so assume im ok.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 18-Jul-09 21:58:57

Generally no swine flu without temperature rises over 38 - however a lot of people seem to be incubating slowly and the temp then hits later very suddenly. If you are taking paracetamol et al already you may be subduing a temperature in any case.

Julezboo Sat 18-Jul-09 22:01:00

Already taking paracetamol and ibruprofen, they are not helping though...

I do have diarrhoea (TMI sorry)

MartinBlankWasMyFirstLove Sat 18-Jul-09 22:01:13

I have had the stiff neck, headache, no temp - it's just a virus, not sf. had a day off work, but not bedridden - was ok with lemsip.

lal123 Sat 18-Jul-09 22:03:10

way I'd think of it is - if you didn't know that there was swine flu about would you be phoning your doctor back? If yes - then phone them. If not - then don't.

Elibean Sat 18-Jul-09 22:21:38

THere's a whole thread on here about SF without temp - seems as though its a real possibility.

Julezboo Sun 19-Jul-09 13:57:55

Just a quick update, doctor has just been and I am now on tamiflu and rest for 5 days x

cheesesarnie Sun 19-Jul-09 14:03:39

sad poor you!hope your better soon!

we keep rereading sypmtoms because ds2 keeps having quite a few but then hes ok for 6 hours then ill.surely it cant come and go!!

MartinBlankWasMyFirstLove Sun 19-Jul-09 16:16:06

hope you feel better soon, must be pretty grim for the gp to have done a home visit.

Julezboo Sun 19-Jul-09 18:51:25

Vomiting started around an hour ago I am feeling awfully sorry for myself. They have advised us to keep DS's away if possible (mainly the 2yo)

GP brought Tamiflu with him though we didnt have to go get it...

JudyBlume1019 Mon 20-Jul-09 17:25:48

you poor thing, hope you're ok.
How do they propose you keep a 2 yo away from you?
Good luck.
x

Elibean Mon 20-Jul-09 17:46:19

Poor you, sounds awful sad

I wonder if the vomiting is Tamiflu, or flu? Or both, probably...either way, really hope its shortlived!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now