Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

When do you worry?

(9 Posts)
abif2 Sat 18-Jul-09 19:58:43

My dd, 3 years, was diagnosed with swine flu over phone on Thursday. She has a temp of 38 constantly while on nurofen and calpol. On fri am she woke up boiling with temp off the thermometer reading which eventually went down with medicine. She has had a horrendous cough since yesterday which appears to be getting worse and is very fluidy sounding when she coughs. Tonight while lying with her while she dropped off, her chest was making squeaky noises when she breathed out. She has had pneumonia before although have been told this wont make her more susceptible.

Just wondered when anyone else would call doctors or what you would look out for in case this goes to her respiratory system?

Thanks

ZZZenAgain Sat 18-Jul-09 20:03:55

no harm in calling and asking surely. She has been on medication for 3 days and her chest is making squeaky noises. Best get an ínformed opinion.

Frizbe Sat 18-Jul-09 20:05:05

Agree can't hurt to call, I'd go for your own out of hours Dr, you may get a quicker response.

nickytwotimes Sat 18-Jul-09 20:05:17

Yep, I'd want a bit of advice tbh.
I am sure she will be fine, but better to check for chest infection, etc.

Elibean Sat 18-Jul-09 20:41:29

I would get her checked for secondary chest infection, because of the squeaky noise...though thats just me being cautious, don't really know. No harm in calling the docs at this stage, best be safe.

Hope she's better v soon.

atlantis Sat 18-Jul-09 21:30:15

When my sister had pnuemonia they told her it does make you more suseptable to getting it again, along with other chest complaints so I would certainly get her checked out.

I've had this flu for nearly two weeks with underlying health concerns and I can tell you it does try to attack the lungs.

She's your child, you pay for health care (NI) and if your worried call them in and don't be phobbed off.

I wouldn't hesitate if worried.

lal123 Sat 18-Jul-09 21:32:11

like atlantis I wouldn't hesitate to call NHS direct/NHS 24 if you are worried. A squeeky chest may be a sign of a chest infection which may need antibiotics. Hope she's feeling better soon

whomovedmychocolate Sat 18-Jul-09 21:46:32

abif2 - wheezing and breathing difficulties are among the problems which indicate the need for reassessment and possibly admittance to hospital for the under fives - please call your GP tonight.

abif2 Sat 18-Jul-09 21:59:58

Well she is sleeping peacefully now, so I will see how she goes over night and reassess in morning. She is sleeping in our bed and we are giving calpol every 4 hours in night so is easy to keep close eye on her. Hopefully she is turning a corner.She is not having trouble breathing, just an awful cough and the squeaky noises! Thanks for all your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now