Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sleepy, poorly dc. Is it ok to just let them sleep all day?

(9 Posts)
skinupyacunt Sat 18-Jul-09 15:36:52

Seems like a silly question, especially since ds is a nightmare sleeper. I'm pretty sure ds has swine flu, he has a terrible temperature and has a nasty cough and he seems incredibly dopey. I've given hm calpol for his temperature but is it OK to let him sleep? He has been very cuddly today which is very out of character, normally it's a job to get him to sit still but he has been sat on my lap pretty much all day. Hre is 13 months. Dd is definately coming down with something too, she is 5 and lying quietly on the sofa complaining of a sore throat. I think it will be early beds all round, but is it OK to let them sleep so much? Ds has had 3 naps already todya which is unheard of, and is rubbing his eyes again

herbietea Sat 18-Jul-09 15:39:20

Message withdrawn

VaginaShmergina Sat 18-Jul-09 15:41:06

IMO sleep is natural medicine. It's a hard one to judge as I am sure you are also thinking to yourself that you could be in for a bad night if he sleeps so much during the day.

Is there swine flu local to you ? I know a friend who has 4 DC's and the GP's in her area had been told to only treat the under 5's and her as she is asthmatic.

How high has his temperature got ? Is he "awake" when he is awake IYSWIM

skinupyacunt Sat 18-Jul-09 15:42:14

Thanks herbie. Dd is sleepign with me anyway atm as she keeps having nightmares about insects of all things, so we may just have to squidge up to make room for ds as well. I don't really know what to do with us all tbh. I thought I had swine flu a few weeks ago but it was very mild, but my throat's killign me today so I'm paranoid! They're not swabbing anymore down here and I've been told if you call with 2 or more symptoms they just assume you have it, si I think they would say ds does. Our downstairs neighbour has a newborn, do you think I should tell them we have it? We went out today quickly before I really knew how bad ds seemed and we saw 4 people wearing masks shock

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 18-Jul-09 15:46:05

Let them sleep - and get a nap yourself as well if you can incase you are then up all night! Poor little mites, hope they get better soon.

VaginaShmergina Sat 18-Jul-09 15:46:17

Perhaps just pop a note through their door, might be a nice idea, think I would want to know with a new baby, especially if it's the first.

I love your name too skinup...... shock smile

skinupyacunt Sat 18-Jul-09 15:57:49

Ah vag, it's a leftover from the bounty thread, I can't quite bring myself to change it back just yet grin (it's littlelamb really).
His temp is 38.7 or thereabouts, he is awake just very cuddly. I think I'll try and d tea a bit early and bed by 6. Shame I feel a bit too ill to crack open the wine wink

VaginaShmergina Sat 18-Jul-09 16:02:51

I'll have your wine, you get yourself off to bed grin

Cuddles with Mum is a good medicine too. Do ring NHS Direct or your GP if your worried thoough as it looks like it can vary in the severity of the side effects.

skinupyacunt Sat 18-Jul-09 16:17:08

We've just had our first bout of sickness shock so I guess this is it. When I was ill a few weeks ago the D and V was hte worst part, so I hope we're not going to have a
repeat of that
<adds loo roll to tesco order>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now