Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

temp of 39.5 c (about 103 f) for most of the morning - can't seem to get it down - any suggestions?

(18 Posts)
MissScarlett Sat 18-Jul-09 13:15:17

my daughter is very hot - has been at 39/40 degrees most of the morning. I've been giving her cool baths and calpol, she does cool down a bit but then soon is back to the same high temp. She's 4 and already on Tamiflu - any suggestions as to getting her temp down - and do you think I should be taking her to hospital/ out of hours doctor? She's very tired and listless too - any advice much appreciated.

Isitmeor Sat 18-Jul-09 13:17:35

You can use calprofen with calpol I believe to get temperatures down. Hopefully somebody more expert will be along in a mo.

poshwellies Sat 18-Jul-09 13:23:13

I would keep on with what you are doing.Also on bed/sofa with a towel underneath ,strip down to underwear then sponge her down with tepid water.

Lots of fluids and combine ibruprofen along with paracetamol and see how she goes,if you are really worried call your gp.

Hope she feels better soon.

donnie Sat 18-Jul-09 13:26:34

lollies are a good way of getting fluids into sick children as well.

posieparkerinChina Sat 18-Jul-09 13:29:16

A temp is a good thing, it's the bodies way of fighting infection. THat said I would stick to what your doing. Maybe not the cool bath...have you tried NHS direct website?

MissScarlett Sat 18-Jul-09 13:30:00

thanks - trying not to worry too much, but it's so strange having her lying quietly on the sofa instead of running around and causing havoc in the usual manner.

MissScarlett Sat 18-Jul-09 13:31:07

I'll have a look on the NHS direct website and get the lollies out.

Nemoandthefishes Sat 18-Jul-09 14:27:14

you can alternate calpol and ibuprofen seperatly. Thats what I was doing with dd2. Her temp stayed high for about 2 days thohg even with doing that.

mumonthenet Sat 18-Jul-09 14:34:41

I would call NHSdirect, especially if she is very listless.

pooka Sat 18-Jul-09 14:36:15

I would echo advice to avoid cool bath. Lukewarm, yes, but cool no.

mumonthenet Sat 18-Jul-09 14:50:08

Tamiflu is only an antiviral, it won't cure H1N1 and is only really effective when given very early after symptoms have appeared.

A 4 year old with 39.5 temp AND lethargic needs further advice.

No, am not a medic but have just been reading the WHO site.

moosemama Sat 18-Jul-09 15:01:00

Call and speak to either your GP out of hours or NHS direct. If her temp is not being brought and kept down you need further advice.

Ice pops and lollies plus ice cubes in a drinking bottle full of water for her to sip regularly. Fan on in the room but not directly on dd and window open, but againn dd not in the draught from it. Tepid sponging fine but not baths. (Advice from paeds when ds2, the 4.5, was seriously ill with seasonal flu last december) Most importantly she needs to stay hydrated, regular tiny sips if she wont eat or drink properly.

First thing is definitely to get further medical advice asap though.

Hope she is better soon.

Elibean Sat 18-Jul-09 18:28:57

Do try Calprofen (nurofen for kids), unless she's asthmatic or has any other condition that means you shouldn't - it works much better, for longer, on fevers IME.

sweetfall Sat 18-Jul-09 18:32:16

strip her off, put a fan on her

give her nurofen (can give at same time as paracetomal)

if her temp has not reduced within an hour of giving nurofen AND calpol then I'd not hesitate in taking her to hospital

moosemama Sat 18-Jul-09 18:46:10

When ds2 was in hospital they said never put a fan directly on a sick child, as it cools their external body but not their internal organs and can end up causing more complications as well as masking the true extent of their fever.

Fans are best put on to sweep the room with a window open to 'change' the air.

Totally agree with the child nurofen/calprofen. We needed both calpol and calprofen as well as the other measures I mentioned to bring down ds1's fever. (He was diagnosed with swine flu last Tuesday and is now much better and driving me up the wall. grin)

moosemama Sat 18-Jul-09 19:45:22

How's your dd doing MissScarlett?

mumonthenet Sat 18-Jul-09 22:57:01

how is she now missScarlett?

pigswithfludontfly Sun 19-Jul-09 00:32:02

Hope she's okay. Ds had very similar - 39+ temp even with Calpol, very very tired, off food.

I'd skip the baths too, call NHS direct for more advice, and keep a close eye on her.

Hope she gets well soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now