Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How would one know the difference between a child with swine flu and a child with swine flu who needs medical attention?

(9 Posts)
morningpaper Fri 17-Jul-09 22:03:26

I want to know in advance blush

Flu makes you think you might die so how do you know if you are REALLY ill?

Hassled Fri 17-Jul-09 22:11:30

3 days. If symptoms don't improve after 3 days, start running around in circles. That's what they said on the BBC so it must be right.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 17-Jul-09 22:14:49

Seriously, I do know this:

(1) Breathing difficulties including cyanosis (blue lips, fingers, very pale face).
(2) Unresponsive/floppy
(3) Temp over 40 degrees or over 39 which is irreducible one hour after the correct dose of paracetamol or ibuprofen.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 17-Jul-09 22:16:37

Fuck, pressed post too soon.

(4) If signs of menigitis develop
(5) If throat swelling occurs which impedes the airway
(6) Swelling of any part of the body.
(7) Vomiting blood.

Bet you are glad you asked now aren't you? hmm

Hassled Fri 17-Jul-09 22:17:35

Now the BBC just didn't say that. I too need to know these things in advance.

My DCs are nearly always unresponsive though.

RemusLupinInAWizardsuit Fri 17-Jul-09 22:20:03

MP hospital admission protocols here

Depressing reading but worth knowing about.

RemusLupinInAWizardsuit Fri 17-Jul-09 22:29:03

Sorry, you said medical not hospital treatment. I asked DS' asthma nurse the same question (about medical treatment this morning). She said in his case (with not yet diagnosed asthma but having asthma treatment) to assume they should give anti-virals ASAP. Same with the toddler.

Those protocols are awful but still quite useful: all the things WMMC said but also irregular/rapid/laboured breathing and/or serious gastric symptoms/dehydration seem to be high on the list of 'act now' for children.

But I don't really know - like everyone trying to work this out in advance for if it happens

Hassled Fri 17-Jul-09 22:30:46

Those protocols are useful - it just helps to have some sort of yardstick.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 17-Jul-09 22:39:10

Yes thanks for those protocols

Mind you, they'll scared the bejesus out of anyone with a child under 8 weeks obviously!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now