Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Are toddlers who develop swine flu being automatically prescribed antivirals?

(19 Posts)
alittleteapot Fri 17-Jul-09 18:12:58

The NHS website isn't clear - pregnant women (me) will automatically get antivirals but what about dd (2) - it's already in our inner circle so I just want to be prepared in case we go down...

pooter Fri 17-Jul-09 18:14:33

well i dont know what the official policy is, but my nephew was just in hospital with suspected SF and was given tamiflu intravenously - hes 2.3

pooter Fri 17-Jul-09 18:15:06

oh and hes absolutely fine now btw - despite having compromised immunity smile

oysterpots Fri 17-Jul-09 18:21:39

GP told me this morning Tamiflu not being prescribed to generally healthy people, only:
Under 5s
Those with medical conditions/compromised immunity
Pregnant women

Maybe some other groups but can't remember, it was all a little fuzzy...

DarrellRivers Fri 17-Jul-09 18:22:35

Yes
At risk group <5 years old

gonaenodaethat Fri 17-Jul-09 18:24:29

Not Tamiflu for pregnant women. Relenza instead.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 17-Jul-09 18:25:47

GP told me she was happy to prescribe it but didn't personally recommend it because of the side effects and said DD/DS would probably be fine without it.

alittleteapot Fri 17-Jul-09 18:27:28

Thanks. Pooter so glad to hear your nephew ok now. God it's a worry.

pooter Fri 17-Jul-09 18:31:37

yes, we were very worried as he has 'underlying health conditions' but all seems well. Im a pregnant athsmatic so am a little worried, but trying not to think about it really.

LilRedWG Fri 17-Jul-09 18:33:40

My neice and nephew (1 & 4) were both prescribed Tamiflu. DNephew had terrible halucinations after just two tablets and had to come off them. DNeice was fine on them.

alittleteapot Fri 17-Jul-09 18:37:11

LilRedWG that's worrying too. Hope he's ok now.
Pooter, I'm pg with underlying respiratory issues too so a little worried. Have been told to take tamiflu not relenza which is also a bit worrying as it's not generally recommended. But hey ho... I'm sure it will all be fine in hte end.

LilRedWG Fri 17-Jul-09 19:08:26

He's absolutely fine and back at nursery. Hope you are okay.

Musukebba Fri 17-Jul-09 22:59:30

@pooter: just wondering if you really mean "intravenously"? There isn't an oseltamivir preparation that can be given in this way.

Catper33 Sat 18-Jul-09 00:42:43

Our 15mth dd had flu - suspected to be swine flu, but they don't worry about testing here now so could not confirm 100%. She wasn't too good so was in hospital for a while, but they decided she and the rest of us including 2.8 ds were better off not having tamiflu due to the side effects. She is fine now and if we did have the same virus it was so minor we didn't even notice it!!!!!

alittleteapot Sat 18-Jul-09 06:39:29

Catper33, what were the Tamiflu side effects they were worried about?

pooter Sat 18-Jul-09 07:02:54

musukebba - there is every chance i have my wires crossed as ive been getting news third hand while my bro has been in hospital ith my nephew. he definitely had tamiflu and definitely had a canula and antibiotics, sorry - i think i just jumped to that conclusion.

Musukebba Sat 18-Jul-09 10:04:57

Ah ok that's fine maybe they rehydrated him and gave him antibiotics that way too. Just worried in case you had been misled.

Catper33 Sat 18-Jul-09 11:00:28

The main side effects - nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea plus a possible effect on breathing. My dd was already extremely dehydrated as a result of the d+v aspect and having difficulty breathing therefore giving her tamiflu could have been dangerous if she had experienced side effects from the medication as well.The benefits for her would have been mimimal due to the way Tamiflu works and the time from onset of symptoms.

Tamiflu protects you only for the duration you are taking it. As the virus is so widespread it probably won't stop you getting it as you would have to take it for quite some time judging by the numbers of people now affected. Balancing this with the possible side effects meant we were advised there was little point taking it.

alittleteapot Sat 18-Jul-09 11:15:45

I've been advised to take Tamiflu if I get swine flu even though i am pregnant. As I understand it there are no known risks to baby but as they can't ethically test it Relenza is better because it is directly inhaled therefore avoiding any cross over the placenta, so it's a theoretical risk as with lots of other drugs that aren't taken often enough by pregnant women to create an adequate sample for scientific evidence on risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now