Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Those who have had Swine Flu: How Long was the Incubation Period?

(7 Posts)
BlueberryPancake Fri 17-Jul-09 16:50:47

Hi, mu DS (2 years old) had a 'cold' - high temperature for 4 days, runny nose, a cough, and was diagnosed with swine flu over the phone. I was never convinced that it was swine flu and was given tamiflu, but have not given it to him.

He fell sick on Sunday, and so far none of us have any symptoms. I know that the official information says that the incubation period is 5 to 7 days, but in your experience, how long did it take from exposure to symptoms?

Many thanks

BP

PrefetParfait Fri 17-Jul-09 17:32:15

I thought tehe official was less than 48hrs?

Infectious period is 5-7 days.

treedelivery Fri 17-Jul-09 17:35:03

Health Protection agency claim to not know really, but appears up to 7 days, more likely 2-5.

Great, really helpfull. They can't be blamed I suppose.

hobbgoblin Fri 17-Jul-09 17:37:37

2-5 is what I was told. Not sure on infectious period.

PrefetParfait Fri 17-Jul-09 18:05:08

oh yes. The NHS website is now saying up to 7 days incubation period (mostly between 2-5 days). BUT that not enough is known to be sure.

Infectious period is up to 7 days.

BlueberryPancake Fri 17-Jul-09 18:57:20

I assume you are not infectious during the incubation period, or are you?

sweetfall Fri 17-Jul-09 18:59:51

who the hell knows - half the people I know / work with / children go to school with have had a summer bug that could easily be swine flu

I read 7 days incubation somewhere and as viruses are spread by coughing and sneezing I would assume those symptoms ensure continued infection (although that might be dumb assumption as most people I know have a lingering cough)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now