Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

symptoms of swine flu but GP isn't interested

(48 Posts)
sarah293 Fri 17-Jul-09 15:32:26

Message withdrawn

Metella Fri 17-Jul-09 15:33:25

But surely your dd is in a high risk group - what did the GP say about that?

sarah293 Fri 17-Jul-09 15:35:24

Message withdrawn

abraid Fri 17-Jul-09 15:36:24

I thought seasonal flu usually occurred in the winter months and that was what was different about swine flue--it was spreading in the summer?

sarah293 Fri 17-Jul-09 15:37:48

Message withdrawn

Greensleeves Fri 17-Jul-09 15:37:51

My GP the same

I have been ill for nearly three weeks now and no tamiflu despite having the whole plethora of symptoms, and two NHS direct doctors and an out-of-hours saying "it's swine flu"

the other day he grudgingly agreed to give me the lowest possible dose of antibiotics for the racking chest infection I've had for three weeks. I called an out-of-hours GP because I felt lousy that evening and he said "double the dose now, and I'll put it on the computer that your gp needs to prescribe some more"

WHY???!?!?!??

Stretch Fri 17-Jul-09 15:37:52

He sounds like a twat. angry

Reminds me of a woman I heard in Sains the other day saying, "Well I can't have swine flu, I haven't even been to Mexico." hmm I just wanted to shout, "IT'S EVERYWHERE NOW YOU SILLY B*$&^!!!"

Really hope you get it sorted. Can you get a different opinion, different GP? Consultant??

FattipuffsandThinnifers Fri 17-Jul-09 15:38:40

Does your dd normally get the flu vaccine? Presumably she'll be top of the list for the swine flu one when it arrives - not much comfort now I know though.

Have any of you been exposed to anyone with it/school etc? It may still be unlikely you/dd do actually have it (again, sorry if that's no comfort!).

Are you keeping her at home?

sarah293 Fri 17-Jul-09 15:38:50

Message withdrawn

ZZZenAgain Fri 17-Jul-09 15:39:04

call NHS direct, reiterate why your dd is at risk and ask them to advise you how to get the prescription under these circumstances?

MaggieBeBold Fri 17-Jul-09 15:39:39

Yeah I heard that there was no seasonal flu and if you have 3 out of 7 symptoms on the list they are saying to assume it's SF.

Ring a different doctor. Besides, what's your city got to do with it?!

It has left Mexico now... Doctors have accepted that it can not be contained.

Metella Fri 17-Jul-09 15:40:09

Can't you kick up a fuss Riven? Try another GP at the surgery?

I can understand why you are worried.

lal123 Fri 17-Jul-09 15:40:11

might be worth giving NHS 24 a call and explaining to them the difficulties you're having. Re not swabbing - your Dr is right - they aren't swabbing anymore - diagnosing via symptoms instead.

Qally Fri 17-Jul-09 15:42:09

Is your dd under the care of a hospital? If you call her consultant's secretary, they can arrange a prescription - my mother needed one as she is in a vulnerable group, too.

bradsmissus Fri 17-Jul-09 15:43:06

As far as I know, it doesn't matter whether you are swabbed or not. If your DD has symptoms she should get Tamiflu. I would ask to speak to the Prac Manager to see what their policy is. If no luck - speak to the PALS people at your local PCT. Hope DD is better soon.

Greensleeves Fri 17-Jul-09 15:43:16

to piss about where your dd's health is concerned is fucking criminal Riven, what is he thinking?!?

moonmother Fri 17-Jul-09 15:43:22

Can you not speak to your DD's pead or someone more sympathetic at the hospital.

sarah293 Fri 17-Jul-09 15:53:41

Message withdrawn

ZZZenAgain Fri 17-Jul-09 15:56:28

you poor thing riven, how worrying. Would the local chemist have any advice?

MaggieBeBold Fri 17-Jul-09 15:57:25

I wonder if that guy has taken the ten minutes to read the swine flu info he was surely forwarded.

TigerFeet Fri 17-Jul-09 15:59:36

What time does your surgery close? I'd be inclined to ring the out of hours GP the very second that it's available to you and (hopefully) get a better result.

sarah293 Fri 17-Jul-09 16:01:53

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Fri 17-Jul-09 16:02:20

Message withdrawn

moaningminnie2020 Fri 17-Jul-09 16:02:29

I'll second what Tigerfeet said - I would ring the OOH GP instead, they are likely to help you even though your own GP is being a bit of a twat

moonmother Fri 17-Jul-09 16:02:42

Contact your local primary care trust direct, rather than go through your Gp, state you want to make a complaint and that you need Tamiflu for your child.

Tell them that if you don't receive a prescription for Tamiflu then you will take your DD to the nearest A+E and sit there with her until you receive said Tamiflu.

Tell them what your DD's pead said about her contacting SF .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now