Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine flu and going on holiday

(5 Posts)
kat877 Fri 17-Jul-09 13:57:33

I have a real dilemma. My partner has swine flu and although a week ago I was panicking that I had been into contact with someone I am actually quite calm that he has it, I am 18 weeks pregnant.
My issue is that we are due to drive to France next Tues. My partner is recovering well and although it was nasty he dealt with it fine. Myself and my two children (3 and 5) have no symptons whatsoever but am aware they could develop at any time.

Should we go away at all? The thing I am worried about most is getting the symptons on our travels. We are covered on our travel insurance for both cancellation and illness. This is our main family holiday and the kids cannot wait but am I putting them at risk by taking them away.

I am quite a logical person and know that the serious risk is small but can't find out any info anywhere. If we get in france who do we contact for example. Someone has told me you go to a chemist which will provide tmaiflu or the other one for pregnant people. Any advise will be greatly received.

Pollyanna Fri 17-Jul-09 14:00:12

why don't you get a some tamiflu from your doctor here before you go and then take it if you catch it on holiday.

I don't think you can cancel on the basis that you might get it (and I'd be surprised if holiday insurance covers this).

I am in the same situation (although not pregnant), my dh and 1 of my 5 dcs has had it, I am sure the other 4 and I am at high risk of getting it, but we are still going on holiday.

corblimeymadam Fri 17-Jul-09 14:02:00

Message withdrawn

kat877 Fri 17-Jul-09 14:14:09

i have considered this. I have asked the doctor and he has said he cannot give it unless i have the symptoms. I am considering saying i do have symptoms so that i can get some relenza / tamiflu. As it is all done over the telephone. I feel this is slightly unethical but want to protect myself and the kids. As you not going on holiday would be a last resort.

Rockdoctor Sat 18-Jul-09 19:02:25

Hi Kat - we are in a similar situation. DD has probably got it although she seems to be over the worst and I have managed to get her through it with calpol and lots of hugs. When I took her to the GP I was told most likely cause of her symptoms was either a throat infection or SF so who knows for sure? DH has a bad cold which could be SF and I am waiting to see what symptoms I get over the next few days. We are due to travel on Tuesday.

My only word of caution is that some countries are starting to screen people and getting a bit nervous around british holidaymakers. I believe Spain may be screening people going in through the airports for raised temperatures (can anyone confirm this?). If this is the case, then there is a risk you get quarantined in a hotel somewhere for your stay. We are staying with relatives who have already said they will disinfect the house before our arrival (they have other UK "friends" staying immediately before we get there), just in case!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now