Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Newborn been in contact with swine flu - what do i watch for?

(10 Posts)
TheNatty Fri 17-Jul-09 12:25:36

i know temprature is obvious, the others are
headache,
tiredness,
chills,
aching muscles,
limb or joint pain,
diarrhoea or stomach upset,
sore throat,
runny nose,
sneezing, and
loss of appetite

all of which are hard to spot in a newborn!

and what exactly is a temp in a newborn? he is currently 38.5, and feels warm to me.

i know advice is to stay indoors etc, but should i take him to a&e if he does develop more symptoms as he is so young (10 days)

Ninjacat Fri 17-Jul-09 13:44:37

ok I'm no expert but I think a temp over 38 is classed as a fever.
Have you tried NHS Direct?

TheNatty Fri 17-Jul-09 14:02:24

rang GP surgery no appointments as usual, but temp has gone back down again now.
not sure what to do now tho.. hmm

JudyBlume1019 Fri 17-Jul-09 14:05:19

oh you poor thing. My ds is nearly 4 monthsd and we think dd1 has swine flu, and it's really worrying me.
I really hope he's OK.
NHS direct haven't answered the phone once. Ime the only way of actually seeing someone is to absolutely insist at GPs surgery.

TheNatty Fri 17-Jul-09 14:15:09

this whole thing is very scary for us as a family, DH has a number of health problems that would mean he could get very sick, and we have an under one!!

if it was just me and the other two, i would be less worried.

scary thing is that the little girl that got sick, just had a runny nose when she was here, it was a bit of a shock cos she is the first person we 'know' that has had it, and we saw her two days ago she looked fine. she was in a&e last night with a temp of 42 shock

kerrywells2006 Fri 17-Jul-09 14:21:22

All theadvice I have seen for under-5's is to speak to your GP. Can they not get GP to call you back? Our surgery do call backs and then will normally fit you in to one of their emergency appts.

TheNatty Fri 17-Jul-09 14:43:59

yeah spoke to GP, they said they had no appoints and to go to a&e if temp doesnt go down in next half hour. which it did.

JennyPenny22 Fri 17-Jul-09 15:14:38

Natty, I THINK the GP has to see him because he is so tiny? I am a bit worried myself as I think I might have it, suddenly and Talia is only 12 weeks and still BF. Although BF is meant to really help with it I think.

My GP isn't answering the phone, and NHS online say ring GP and NHS direct are only answering calls from people who are extremly ill. Not sure what to do now?

I hope he is ok.

hattyyellow Fri 17-Jul-09 15:24:20

Just spoke to my GP as my 6 month old has been in contact with people with it. He said 38 degrees is classed as a fever and that they have a diluted version of one of the swine flu meds that can be given to the under ones.

Really hope all is okay for you - it's horrible worrying isn't it. I'm relieved every week my baby gets that little bit bigger in case she gets it.

lal123 Fri 17-Jul-09 15:28:29

Natty - if temp is normal and you can't tell if baby has any of the other symptoms (i.e. baby seems normal) then chances are he's fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now