Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

REPEATED swine flu infections

(11 Posts)
whomovedmychocolate Fri 17-Jul-09 10:13:04

Please tell me I'm barking here but I've just had notification that DDs nursery key worker has gone down with swine flu - mine were thought to have had it quite early on but were not swabbed. Now they have symptoms - same as first time but not as bad.

I'm home treating but I'm a bit worried because if they are getting it again and it was swine flu last time (which we couldn't have confirmed as the GP had no swabs left and it was ten days before I sought help - stupid mummy emoticon), it means they didn't get immunity last time. shock

Elibean Fri 17-Jul-09 12:56:54

Yikes.

No idea, I'm afraid, but am bumping for you!

belgo Fri 17-Jul-09 12:59:38

Maybe they didn't have swine flu the last time.

My children all had the symptoms of swine flu about three weeks ago, but I doubt it was swine flu because there was practically no swine flu cases in Belgium at the time.

singersgirl Fri 17-Jul-09 13:11:09

Well, there are loads of viruses that have pretty similar symptoms, aren't there? So unless they've been swabbed and confirmed both times, it's almost certain that they've had two different bugs. Little children do get quite frequent febrile illnesses - or at least mine did.

smee Fri 17-Jul-09 13:54:21

I have no medical knowledge whatsover, but I think I had it (DS school swamped with it, and he had it too), then I was okay for a week, but then had another bout of the same thing. Like your lo's it wasn't so bad second time around, but the same symptoms. I assumed I'd just not kicked it properly, so it reared up again. Maybe someone else will know though.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 17-Jul-09 14:27:42

smee - that's what the GP said this morning - she's seen a few cases today with people who are seeming to get it again apparently hmm

Of course since they aren't swabbing we'll never really know.

Elibean Fri 17-Jul-09 15:22:54

Get it again, or get a second surge of feeling unwell a few days after the first time, I wonder? Only ask because I know with flu, its not uncommon to get some of the symptoms back if not rested enough?

Hope they are better, for good, very soon WMMC.

It IS frusrating that we can't ever really know now, totally agree with that.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 17-Jul-09 17:47:31

Elibean - I think get it again, it's been a few months since we had it last time I think.

Elibean Fri 17-Jul-09 19:18:42

Is it possible it wasn't swine flu first time, if it was months ago? Does sound a bit worrying if you can get it twice....not sure what the implications are if thats the case. May ask my uncle, who is a (retired) microbiologist/virologist!

DebiNewberry Fri 17-Jul-09 19:29:05

my gp has said that there is a virus going round as well at the mo, which we appear to have as we all feel shit but no temp.

DebiNewberry Fri 17-Jul-09 19:29:56

isn't there a swine flu topic now btw?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now