Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine flu - I'm in work, don't feel great but no temperature - could it be SF?

(6 Posts)
janegrey Fri 17-Jul-09 09:39:56

I'm in a dilemma here. We're due to go on holiday on Sunday and me and dd2 now appear to have the same bug that dh had last week.

Normal body temperature when measured by thermometer, cough, runny nose and generally feeling slightly under the weather..but not so bad to stop me coming in to work, or dd going to school, which is where we both are now.

When I managed to get on the online symptom checker a few days ago, it ruled out SF because of the lack of temperature.

The checker has been offline for a while, but I just got back on it and now it seems to have changed and says stay away from people even though I've not said yes to a high temperature.

Not sure what to do now - I had a shedload of work to complete before going on leave and tbh don't want to be told not to go on hols - 2 weeks in the sun will almost certainly put us right.

Could I have some other opinions here please?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 17-Jul-09 09:43:01

It could be, or it could just be a cold...

Hard to tell without swabbing but I don't think they will do that.

I would tend to go with having a cold, personally, but that might be seen by others as being inconsiderate in case you are spreading SF.

Sorry I am not being of much help here.

ComeOVeneer Fri 17-Jul-09 09:44:29

I know several people who have had SF with no temp, so it could possibly be it. Sorry not much help!

OrmIrian Fri 17-Jul-09 09:46:07

According the the doctor on the news last night a raised temp of 38 or above is essential for it be swine flu.

janegrey Fri 17-Jul-09 09:49:18

Thanks OrmIrian - my gut feeling is it's just a nasty cold, but I don't want to be antisocial or inconsiderate by spreading SF.

On the other hand, I'd be dumping work on colleagues if I go home sick.

I can't get through to the GP.

Both dds have mild asthma too - but dd2's had the bug for a few days and her asthma symptoms are no worse than normal with a cold.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 17-Jul-09 09:52:22

Can you ask your colleagues what they think? Then if they want you to go home its their choice and they can't blame you for dumping the work on them, and if they say stay then its their choice too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now