Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD1 3.8 on day 4 of swine flu, now has sore neck.... could this be a symptom?

(21 Posts)
JudyBlume1019 Thu 16-Jul-09 14:27:41

Dh has taken her down to A & E because I panicked and immediately thought of meningitis.

btw, did try to see GP, and out of hours gp, but not available!

CrushWithEyeliner Thu 16-Jul-09 14:29:26

A&E a good idea I think - achy body in general is a symptom of SF. I think stiffness in the neck is more meningitis - could she move it down to look at her navel?

Frizbe Thu 16-Jul-09 14:29:39

I think in this case A&E a very good call, I hope its nothing and that she's ok, but better to be monitored. It is a symptom of meningitis and thus good call you {{{Hugs}}}

JudyBlume1019 Thu 16-Jul-09 14:32:59

dh just called and they seemed to be able to move her head around OK, she could look down at her navel before she left, but seemed to be getting worse at it, but that could have coincided with a swine flu fever starting.
thanks frizbe for hugs! Very un-mn of me but just brough a tear to my eye. Far too stressful all this swine flu stuff

cocolepew Thu 16-Jul-09 15:17:28

M DD and I both have just been diagnosed, today,with swine flu, we both have sore necks. Hope she feels better soon

atlantis Thu 16-Jul-09 16:00:37

Sore neck here too.. but that could be because I've been trying to sleep virtually upright?

AnarchyAunt Thu 16-Jul-09 16:04:13

I have what I assume is swine flu (three days and counting of sore throat, cough, headache, hot/cold/shivery, nausea, achey muscles and back, weakness, having to crawl to get a drink etc - today is the first day I have felt up to posting on MN) and I have had a sore neck too.

Hope she gets better soon.

barbapapa Thu 16-Jul-09 16:29:36

DD has had presumed swine flu - she had a sore neck as well and we went to A and E thinking meningitis
Turned out to be the glands in the back of her neck very swollen and making it hard to move
Hope she is ok

mosschops30 Thu 16-Jul-09 16:32:34

Just loving the fact that youre all rushing off to A&E despite national advice to NOT TAKE YOUR CHILD TO DOCTORS/CLINIC/A&E

A sore neck is not a symptom of meningitis on its own, did you check for photophobia, neck mobility etc before risking the rest of the general population waiting in A&E

ilovetochat Thu 16-Jul-09 16:32:46

ive been to gp this morning with very sore neck, slight cough, cold, no temp, feeling nauseus, dizzy, they told me to go in, then doc said possible viral infection but if you feel worse tomorrow phone or if you still feel ill in 3 days phone back as its swine flu.
im confused.
im in pain and feel a bit shitty but dont consider myself to have flu.

QOD Thu 16-Jul-09 16:32:56

oh so my sore back & neck & nausea could be a precluder> greeeeat!
get well soone everyone X

Frizbe Thu 16-Jul-09 22:26:06

ah mosschops, but swine flu is developing into meningitis, which is why we advised it, its been documented quite widely in cases in Mexico and Thailand, links on some of the other threads, its not the flu killing people (as with normal flu) its what it develops into Pneumonia and Meningitis sad

whomovedmychocolate Thu 16-Jul-09 22:30:48

mosschops there is a vast difference between a notified referral to children's A&E where they are waiting for you with appropriate masks/aprons/designated infection control staff - to do checks for meningitis and trekking down and sitting in A&E for four hours coughing as you go. hmm

whomovedmychocolate Thu 16-Jul-09 22:33:05

FWIW I agree that buggering off to casualty without calling first is bloody daft - similarly turning up to the GP to make an appointment and swine flu parties.

JudyBlume1019 Fri 17-Jul-09 13:59:19

Thanks everyone for posts re sore necks, and the good wishes too. Hope everyone with sf gets better soon.

mosschops, I did call in advance, so when she arrived they were expecting her and took her to a private room immediately.
Of course I did the other checks, and she did not have photophobia etc, but it was still a worry, so I decided that despite the "national advice to NOT TAKE YOUR CHILD TO DOCTORS/CLINIC/A&E" that my small daughter who has been having temperatures at worst, reaching 40.7 degrees for 4 days ought to be seen by someone. The reason it had been 4 days was because of the advice not to go to doctors etc, but enough is enough.
Bloody lucky I did as she tested positive for a uti and is now being treated with abs, which have had no effect so far, and she is now on day 5 of the illness, and I am very worried about her, and shock I am actually going to take her to see my GP this afternoon. I have called in advance and will leave her in the car outside with dh until we are called in. Is that OK with you?????
Now I have no bloody idea whether she has swine flu or a uti, but it looks very much like both!!!

kerrywells2006 Fri 17-Jul-09 14:35:44

I think it is unfair for people to critcise parents like this. I for one know the lengths I would go to to protect my kids and if that means taking them to A&E then so be it, especially with a phone call first to warn them we were coming. If they areseriously ill then hospital is the b
place to be.

Elibean Fri 17-Jul-09 15:29:09

Judy sad

Hope she's lots better soon.

abraid Fri 17-Jul-09 15:39:39

Of course you did the right thing to take her to A&E.

Hope she's better soon.

Honneybunny Fri 17-Jul-09 19:08:10

jude, imho you did the right thing bringing her to a&e after warning them. sf is supposed to be mild illness to most but if you suspect complications (like pneumonia and meningitis), surely hospital is the only place where you can be treated.

the warning not to go to gp/a&e is to prevent people who've just caught the (mild) virus from rushing to hospital in a panick.

this is not what you did with your dd, obviously: with her sysmptoms, you are absolutely right to not take any risk (if it had been meningitis it's best to catch it asap..), and if a&e thought there was no need to come in, then surely they would have advised you to stay at home...

i hope your dd gets well soon.

Elibean Fri 17-Jul-09 19:37:05

Agree.

Iworryalot Fri 17-Jul-09 19:54:25

Judy , you deff did the right thing ,hope your DD is welll again soon .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now