Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do you NEED to contact anyone if you suspect swine flu?

(9 Posts)
PrefetParfait Wed 15-Jul-09 19:42:47

Since 3pm today I have suffered rapidly developing swollen glands, my temperature is rising as we speak and my neck muscles are killing me - so I am watching for further symptoms of Swine flu.

DTDs are both also suffering a raise in temp (not extreme, yet), and complaining of tummy ache which they always get with viral infections.

I am not panicking. I know that it isn't a definate, and that I don't tick enough of the symptoms (yet), but I am trying to get prepared.

We have lots of adult paracetamol/ibuporfen. I have plenty of childrens nurofen, need to send DP out for more calpol.

Do I need to ring the hotline or GP? Are they logging numbers. None of us have any underlying health conditions. I am happy managing symptoms at home. Wouldn't necessarily take tamiflu. I don't want to clog up hotlines/GP unnecessarily, and would obviously call if there were any complications becoming apparent.

So is there a rule that you have to call GP?

difficultdecision Wed 15-Jul-09 20:07:00

No you don't need to call anyone if you are managing ok. If you are concerned at any point though do ring for advice. Hope you all feel better soon.

PrefetParfait Wed 15-Jul-09 20:10:30

TY

LIke I say I am not panicking, and I just don't want to clog up healthcare facilities if there is someone in greater need. It is just not clear if you need to notify someone of those affected IYSWIM.

I shall get myself off to bed and keep my fingers crossed as soon as I can get the DCs in bed...

jkklpu Wed 15-Jul-09 20:14:29

How old are your los? If <5, advice is to notify so that you can get antivirals as they're in a "vulnerable" group.

PrefetParfait Wed 15-Jul-09 20:15:53

DD3 is 3 - but showing no symptoms ATM.

It is DTDs that are complaining of feeling ropey

PurpleOne Wed 15-Jul-09 20:54:41

Speak to your gp, just in case you need antivirals for the DCs, and you need someone 'healthy' to pick up prescription for you.

Otherwise, lots of painkillers and stay hydrated is the main advice....and lots of sleep!!!

PrefetParfait Wed 15-Jul-09 22:17:13

Officially feeling cack.

Muscle aches moving down my body. My shoulders and flank muscles really hurting. My right elbow and wrist hurt too. no respiratory symptoms to speak of though

DD3 has only just gone up to bed as I haven't had the energy to chase her.

Trying to convince my self that it is not "it" as I haven't knowingly been in contact with anyone with it...but not looking good. Will reserve judgement until I wake up in hte morning and can't get out of bed, but not feeling too hopeful.

<drags self off to bed>

squeakywheel Wed 15-Jul-09 23:27:01

Good luck, hope the morning isn't too bad.

PrefetParfait Thu 16-Jul-09 13:41:31

Well it seems to have come to nothing. I still have sore shoulders and slightly sore glands.

I feel a bit silly now - but last night I realy did feel AWFUL. Just goes to demostrate the level of paranoia ATM...and I am sensible and sane, and fully understand swine flua dn it's ins and outs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now