Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine flu, would you take your child out of school if...

(6 Posts)
Marne Wed 15-Jul-09 14:39:00

In the last couple days a lot of people in a nearby village and town have come down with swine flu, mums are talking about keeping their children home for the rest of the week (they break up friday) so they don't get swine flu. Is this a little OTT?

I am tempted to keep dd2 out of nursery, she has SN and if she gets a temp she finds it very hard to get regulate it (she was ill a few months ago and almost started fitting).

I would feel mean taking dd1 out of school because the last couple days at school are full of fun things and she will want to say goodbye to her friends etc..

What would you do?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 15-Jul-09 14:41:33

My youngest has come home early from playschool and I am worried he will miss the last day as it is such a fun day. but, if he is ill, he is ill and we will have to have a special time at home instead.

There is a kid at dd's school who has swine flu but I haven't kept dd off school. She will want to say goodbye to her friends before end of term.

pagwatch Wed 15-Jul-09 15:21:18

There is swine flu at all three of my DCs schools but none of them have left early. Ds2 has a week to go which includes sports day and final assembly ( in which he is performing on the recorder and getting swin certificate) so I will not take him out unless the school advise we should do so.

If he gets it, he gets it. I think withdrawing children from school unless there is a huge outbreak within the school is OTT

LIZS Wed 15-Jul-09 15:30:07

Agree with Pag . I think a boycott is rather ott, if the virus is circulating locally they may just as easily catch it from another source such as at the supermarket or park. You can't withdraw indefinitely and it may well not prevent them catching it .

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 15-Jul-09 20:38:59

I am uhmming and ahhing about keeping dd out of school next week. Looks like a cluster might be developing in school (nothing officially confirmed to parents). I do not want her to develop it when we are on holiday. She has asthma and it just seems silly to risk taking it on a french camping holiday when I could keep her at home for 3 days so at least she won't get it from school. I know she might get it over there anyway. dh and I are going to review how things are going at school at the end of the week and rediscuss it then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now