Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would it be insane to see friends with Swine Flu?

(10 Posts)
scampadoodle Wed 15-Jul-09 11:48:52

Friends are due on Sunday for lunch/the afternoon. They've just told us that 2 of them (out of 4) actually have swine flu, one recovering. Apart from not wanting my family to get SF right at the beginning of the holidays, DH has recently recovered from pneumonia & is still being investigated regarding problems with his lungs.

What should we do? I say cancel but DH is being (mistakenly in my opinion) very blasé.

Would it be rude to say we don't want them to come or merely sensible?

magnolia74 Wed 15-Jul-09 11:52:29

Erm....good friends woudldn't come anyway. They will be on tamiflu for 7-10 days and will have been told to stay at home for at least 7 days.

minko Wed 15-Jul-09 11:54:02

Yes, insane! For your DH who is recovering from pneumonia especially!!

gladbag Wed 15-Jul-09 11:56:23

I think it would be insane, mainly in considering your husband's condition.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 15-Jul-09 11:57:20

Madness and your friends are very inconsiderate for still coming.

scampadoodle Wed 15-Jul-09 12:03:05

Oh I'm glad you don't think I'm overeacting. Usually I can't stand it when people run screaming from any little health scare, and I know in general SF isn't 'dangerous' but I know from experience that any flu is bloody unpleasant & there's no way I could look after the DCs if I were ill - and what if they got it?! And DH could become extremely ill. He just refuses to see the problem. If our friends knew the full story ie the pneumonia (& I'm not sure DH has told them) I'm sure they wouldn't mind us cancelling in the slightest.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 15-Jul-09 12:04:23

But flu (whether swine or otherwise) is potentially dangerous, especially for your DH.

I would ignore your DH and call your friends to rearrange.

scampadoodle Wed 15-Jul-09 12:14:32

They're his friends so it has to come from him. I'll have a Word.

Hulababy Wed 15-Jul-09 12:18:06

If they still have symptoms, and esp bearing in my your DH's recent illness, then I would postpone the visit.

They may not have been prescribed Tamiflu - well, round here they aren't anyway. Only one case of someone having Tamiflu here and then only for 5 days. But people are contagious if they are presenting with symptoms and I'd avoid until symptoms have passed TBH. It will only be a week's delay anyway as many people with SF are only ill for 3 or 4 days, but may feel weary for a bit longer.

throckenholt Wed 15-Jul-09 12:22:51

I would have thought if they have SF they wouldn't feel up to visiting anyway.

I would err on the side of caution and postpone it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now