Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

any asthmatics who have had swine flu?

(8 Posts)
geekgirl Tue 14-Jul-09 18:01:34

Swine flu has reached my area and I am getting slightly anxious.
I generally have mild asthma but any kind of lower respiratory infection sends my asthma into a complete tailspin and it usually takes me many months to shake off the effects of even quite mild chest infections.
I've read that swine flu seems to attack the lungs in particular - just wondering if anyone with asthma has already had it and can let me know how it went....?

squeakywheel Tue 14-Jul-09 19:05:00

I haven't already had it but I have asthma too. Have you got a plan for increasing meds in the winter or when infection is more likely?

geekgirl Tue 14-Jul-09 19:35:31

yes the asthma nurse said to use the preventer twice a day
suppose I could do that now hmm
am totally crap at remembering to use the bloody thing though blush

luckywinner Tue 14-Jul-09 19:36:51

That's what I've been doing in preparation. Put it next to your toothbrush. Its the only way I remember to take it. I am worried too.

RenagadeMum Tue 14-Jul-09 19:37:22

Really worried as DS and I both have asthma and its not always well controlled when have flu at best of times.
So will be listening to this one.

Problem is as well, we both have severe allergy to eggs so won't (??) be able to have the vaccine. Really want it. Anyone also know about that?

weblette Tue 14-Jul-09 19:39:06

Know someone whose dd with mild asthma caught it, she did react quite badly but didn't need to be hospitalised.

With ds2 I'm just being scrupulous about his Singulair and Seretide. He always has the flu jab, if/when something comes out for H5N1 he'll be first in line.

squeakywheel Tue 14-Jul-09 19:41:21

I've restarted my preventer now - as I see it this is basically a bit like an early winter. It takes time to build up to be effective too so I thought waiting till I was actually ill could be leaving it too late.

Make sure you've got plenty of each inhaler too - get your repeats in if necessary.

schilke Tue 14-Jul-09 20:16:41

My friend has just had swine flu and she has asthma. She was given tamiflu - her dc, who also had flu, was not given tamiflu. She was in bed for 3 days - totally achey and whacked, but had no bad chest problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now