Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine flu - can you have it with just mild symptoms?

(10 Posts)
mirrorflash Tue 14-Jul-09 11:24:01

Last week I had a bad headache, severe fatigue and acute nausea over abour six hours (but did not vomit). I didn't think to check my temp., (felt too ill), but I didn't feel extremely hot or cold - perhaps a bit chilly.

I was fully recovered the next day.

I just wondered if this was possibly swine flu as I've read that you can have it in a "subclinical" way, which means, I think, that your body processes the virus without feeling profoundly ill for many days or having all the symptoms.

There was a case of a class of children being swabbed and the majority tested positive for having had the swine flu virus even though many had not even been noticably ill with any symptoms at all!

Any thoughts from anyone?

saintmaybe Tue 14-Jul-09 11:26:58

I think you can; after I had it dh had a super-lite version of the same symptoms, and he is so not a man-flu kind of chap; he's carried on as normal.

Doozle Tue 14-Jul-09 11:31:02

Well my friend just had very similar symptoms to you over the weekend. The gp ruled out swine flu because she didn't have any respiratory symptoms, like cough, congestion or sore throat.

minxofmancunia Tue 14-Jul-09 11:57:52

2 weeks ago I had a cold, cough, temp and horrible sore throat, am in 3rd trimester of pg so assumed it was a cold and was extra bad cos of pg. Called in sick, took paracetomol, took 2 days off work and aside from a bit of a catarghh (sp?) prob for the next week recovered fully. Just slept for 2 days. DD (2.10) had had what I would term a mild cold for the previous week or so, not enough to keep her off nursery.

Could this have been "it"?

jumpingbeans Tue 14-Jul-09 11:59:33

It's called a piglet cold

GypsyMoth Tue 14-Jul-09 12:03:28

think I had it too. But DC only had slighted symptoms. I'm never, ever I'll, but this knocked me for six!! Had cough, cold. Sore throat and felt sick and dizzy.

Who knows?

Oh., and period at same time!!

LouMacca Tue 14-Jul-09 12:05:48

minx - sounds like it could have been.

I am beginning to wonder if my daughter had it a couple of weeks ago now. She had high temp, vomiting and was lethargic. I took her to the doctors and he said it was a virus. I kept her off school for a week and she had plenty of sleep and fluids. She didn't complain of a sore throat though which sounds like one of the most common symptoms. My son then had milder symptoms last week and stayed off school for a couple of days.

I now have sore throat, bad headache and a runny nose and have stocked up at the chemist.

How on earth do you know ifs its swine flu/flue or a viral infection?

mirrorflash Tue 14-Jul-09 12:08:30

lol @ piglet cold.

Thanks for all your comments.

Oh, well, I'm probably never going to know for sure.

Would be nice to have had a mild dose that then gives me some immunity.

SheDancesTheFlamingo Tue 14-Jul-09 12:54:41

We've been told we're a suspected case. Just waiting swab results because we've had "positive contact" with a confirmed case.
Doctor's pretty convinced it's "it", in fact we had to request the swab test because he was already so convinced.
Symptoms are aches, sweats, slight sore throat, slight headache, bit of a drippy nose, a tickly cough and bouts of extreme tiredness. Symptoms come and go.
To be honest I've had worse colds!
Small mercies and all that. Just a shame we're quarantined all week!

mirrorflash Tue 14-Jul-09 13:06:21

Flamingo - glad you are not suffering too badly. Hope you all make a speedy recovery.

The cough seems to be quite a constant in most cases...I didn't have that. Perhaps I had mild food poisoning instead.

Wish you all well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now