Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Really concerned about swine flu - can you innoculate early?

(4 Posts)
stressed2007 Tue 14-Jul-09 08:24:53

This is a serious question so please no flaming.

Like loads of you on here I have young kids - my 18 month old catches everything. I have a poorly mum and a 94 year old granny. I am really concerned abiut the swine flu and the fact that it appears to be killing completely well people. On the basis certian people are suseptable is it possible to get a vaccine now - will it help? Can you buy them? I am really worried that if one of them catches it there will be nothing much that can be one. Thanks very much

I have also posted this question on the general health board.

LIZS Tue 14-Jul-09 08:39:32

There is no specific vaccine yet and there is anecdotal evdinece that older people are actually less susceptible to this current form due to exposure to a previous similar mutation. afaik whatever vaccine they do stock from end of August is a variant on the seasonal one .

noddyholder Tue 14-Jul-09 08:44:58

Spoke to 2 docs at length yesterday and they are as in the dark as the rest of us.have been told because of my health issues that at teh first sign of a temp/cough we would all be treated with tamiflu or relenza.My Gp has me on a list for immediate vaccination and seems to think this will be late august.I had an inappropriate immune response to a severe sore throat as a teenager and it caused kidney failure.All my family had it too and were fine.I am wondering if perhaps the little girl who died had something like that because it is v v rare.

HuwEdwards Tue 14-Jul-09 09:01:34

I echo what Lizs says re older people. I just heard that a child at my daughters' school and her mother have suspected swine flu, so I'm guessing it's only a matter of time...apparently they are poorly, projected vomiting and feeling quite wretched I hear, but at home and coping.

Unless you go to the docs with underlying health issues like noddy has, so as to put you on a priority list, not sure there's anything else you can do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now