Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DH may have swine flu, DS is 20 weeks....

(6 Posts)
babyignoramus Mon 13-Jul-09 21:40:14

DH has been on the phone to the NHS and been told to call GP tomorrow to confirm diagnosis and get a prescription. DS is only 20 weeks and we live in a flat so are still sharing a bedroom with him. Does anyone know what the incubation period is? I am going to keep an eye on his temp and watch out for other symptoms but I can't help but think we're almost certain to catch it sad. Also, does anyone know what to do if he comes down with anything? I'm thinking 999? I am panicking slightly as he's my first so I've never dealt with an ill baby before.

Ewe Mon 13-Jul-09 21:45:13

Get some calpol/ibuprofen in as temp control is the most important thing. 999 unlikely to be necessary, a call to NHS direct or your out of ours gp will probably suffice unless any serious breathing problems, seizures etc - then call 999.

Lots of fluids in him, are you bf? If so, continue doing so.

Maybe get some shopping in so you don't have to venture out, make sure you have plenty of nappies, wipes etc.

babyignoramus Mon 13-Jul-09 21:51:54

Thanks Ewe - he is FF so I can give him water from a bottle if need be. He was a bit hot today but I think he's teething which complicates things. I really hope he doesn't come down with it - as a new mum I could have done with a less serious illness to cut my teeth on!!

Ewe Mon 13-Jul-09 21:55:21

You could get some diarolyte sachets in too, they can help if he comes down with the diarrhoea element but don't give them unless doc advises as they should only be given to under ones under GP guidance but I have used them several times and they are fine!

Ewe Mon 13-Jul-09 21:55:56

Oh and good luck, Mumsnet is always here if you get worried. It is horrible when they are so little and poorly.

babyignoramus Mon 13-Jul-09 21:59:29

I know, you're all wonderful! Luckily he's had some calpol today before bed for his teeth. It's horrible because you only ever hear about the really bad cases on the news.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now