Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine Flu and Pregnancy - help!

(5 Posts)
xfingerscrossedx Mon 13-Jul-09 21:01:58

Hi, please could someone give me a sensible answer to this? I'm a secondary school teacher and people (kids and teachers) are starting to go down with swine flu/suspected swine flu. I am 10 weeks pregnant and school have been reluctant to tell me who these people are, which is worrying me as I'm not sure if I've had contact with them! I rang a helpline and the woman on there was almost hysterical telling me that I had to demand to know/ring GP straight away/don't get fobbed off etc.... Very helpful when I'm already feeling pretty tense about it.

Anyway, I eventually found out who it was and have had nothing to do with the pupil in question. However, now staff are starting to go down with it I don't know what to do. Caught between wanting to turn round and say sorry I'm not coming in and not wanting to be a raging hypochondriac. I know there are anti-viral drugs you can take, but I really don't want to get swine flu in the first place! Any advice would be great!

excitedandscared Mon 13-Jul-09 22:59:06

I'm also a pregnant teacher with swine flu confirmed in our school- a boy in my class in fact.

My GP told me tamiflu is not to be taken if pregnant but there's an alternative that can be taken when, and only when, I get symptoms. He recommended I 'keep calm and carry on' but sign myself off if I start to feel unwell. There's so much of it around, it's impossible to try and hide from it any more and my midwife didn't seem too concerned when I turned up for my antenatal class.

I have read flu in general is more of a risk during the 2nd and 3rd trimester. I'm 30 weeks and a bit concerned but trying not to worry - more worried as if my dh gets it (and he thinks he may have it already, hypochondriac!) he is such a wimp he'll drive me mad! Hopefully you'll be ok though. Try not to worry too much - the stress would probably be worse for you than the flu!

mrswee Mon 13-Jul-09 23:39:20

I noticed last night that the NCT website has a link containing the english swine flu and pregnancy guide lines. very much worth a read if you are worried.

princessmel Tue 14-Jul-09 12:45:22

My dh told me this morning that someone in his office has it.

I am slightly worried as I am 26 weeks pregnant.

laurawantsababy Tue 14-Jul-09 12:56:23

Dp has been exposed and I am 11 weeks pg with a 1yo dd. Very worried. If anyone in my office gets it I wont be going in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now