Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do you think this might have been swine flu - sorry sorry if you've had enough!

(25 Posts)
blondissimo Mon 13-Jul-09 17:42:17

Went to check ds (12 months) on Monday morning around 4am and he was burning up, like a furnace. He was asleep so I left him.
From then until Thursday he had a temp of around 39, lowering at times with calpol. Was also very very tired, with red eyes and lethargic throughout this time, although reasonably good spirited. Took him to GP surgery on Thurs, where GP said he had very red throat. He said to let it run its course. Later that day he started to develop a rash on his forehead, which spread over the next few days to cover his body. Spoke to GP on phone re rash as I was concerned it might be rubella or measles. She said it could be, or it could just be a post viral rash, and that the rash always comes at the end of the illness.
The rash has now disappeared and he seems almost back to his normal self.
Obviously due to his age, I can't get him to tell me symptoms, but I now have a sore throat and feel a bit whacked.
When I went to the doctors surgery today to put in a prescription, there was a big sign on the door about swine flu, saying not to go in and call the swine flu helpline.
Made me think there might be some cases round here.
What do you think?

blondissimo Mon 13-Jul-09 17:47:11

Also no runny nose, although think it maybe was blocked and no distinct cough - he has coughed a few times, but not ongoing.

BintOfBohemia Mon 13-Jul-09 17:47:54

We've all been a bit like this (bar the rash) this week, but I thought swine flu would be a bit more noticeable, or dramatic, or something?

I guess it can be fairly mild too though can it? I know nothing to be honest, have been avoiding the subject but will watch with interest...

Glad your DS is ok now though. smile

BintOfBohemia Mon 13-Jul-09 17:49:15

I also wondered if we all have hay fever, that can be quite similar, I guess, although it wouldn't explain the rash...

blondissimo Mon 13-Jul-09 17:51:52

Thanks BintOfBohemia - Yes that's what I thought - but I read someone's post on here that said they have got it and just feel like they have a bad cold.
I too have been totally avoiding the subject, but when I heard today that another little girl has died, this time with no underlying health issues, I am starting to panic a bit.
I am visualising it turning out like the film 28 Days Laterwink!

Theinvisibleone Mon 13-Jul-09 18:57:18

My little girl has this, sore throat, high temp but not the cough and they have prescribed tamiflu. The doctor said that as they were no longer swabbing you will never know for sure if they have it or not.

However, as she has some sort of flu like virus they have prescribed the drug, think thats the policy now. smile

blondissimo Mon 13-Jul-09 19:17:28

Hmm interesting. It sounds terrible to say, but in a way I hope he has had it, as it seems he has got over it now.
No-one mentioned Tamiflu to me when I spoke to nhs direct or the GP on two occasions, although not sure it can be give to under 5s?

Theinvisibleone Mon 13-Jul-09 20:55:09

My DD is 4 and a half, they have a liquid form for under ones and capsules for anyone older.

I tried NHS direct and could not get through, phoned my surgery and my GP called me back within a couple of hours.

It may depend on the surgery, GPs discretion!

bebejones Mon 13-Jul-09 22:33:24

Just been told today that me and DD (11months) might have swine flu. I feel quite rubbish & DD is like a furnace & coughing. Both been given tamiflu but the only pharmacy that stocks it locally is out of liquid for DD so have to open up capsules and mix with sweet food to give to her! So worried about her. Calpol & Ibuprofen not making much of a dent in her temp!! Me, DH & DD are housebound til at least weds! But can't grumble about GP's here, they were fab!

blondissimo Tue 14-Jul-09 07:03:41

bebejones - sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation, I think they are saying most people have mild symptoms that last only up to a week.
It is difficult when you have a little one at that age, as they can't even tell you how they are feeling.
Try to rest and relax as much as you can and let your dd sleep for as long as she wants - I'm sure it will pass relatively quickly.
Let us know how you are getting onsmile.

Theinvisibleone Tue 14-Jul-09 11:04:54

Really feel for you bebejones, we had a terrible night, little one was like a furnace and kept throwing herself around the bed. She has a favorite toy, snugly , and she kept calling out in her sleep "don't take snuggly" sad

She had 2 tamiflu yesterday and 1 today which she threw up immediately afterwards.

Lets hope they all get better soon.

staranise Tue 14-Jul-09 12:20:15

My baby is 7 months, woke with fever and very very grumpy, also snotty but no cough. Has been asleep all morning. GP practice nurse said to wake him up and see how he is (his fever has gone down after Calpol).

How can they tell whether or not it is swine flu? - he is also teething which could account for most of those symptoms.

However DD1, aged 5, also had fever and headache last night. She was better today (still complaining of headache but I put it down to not wanting to go to school so I ignored her sad ).

Now I'm worreid they both have/are getting swine flu - how would we know for certain? Should we be staying indoors? V difficult as I also have a three year old at nursery who needs collecting etc

annoyingdevil Tue 14-Jul-09 13:16:30

My ds had something a couple of weeks ago, temps between 38-39, red throat and slightly sniffly. It lasted four days, but I don't think it was swine flu.

There are other random viruses going around and the changeable weather doesn't help!

handbagqueen Tue 14-Jul-09 13:22:49

My DD2 (2 yrs) has had a temp and cough since the weekend, the Dr had prescribed Tamiflu, he didn't seem to know you could get in any other form than the capsules (which were opening and mixing it with Nutella to get it down her). She seems in good spirits, just high temp and a bit of a cough. But swine flu is very prevalent in this area so I think they're taking no chances.

Ripeberry Tue 14-Jul-09 13:29:04

They said on the news this morning that if any child has a temp of more than 38c over a long period of time with a sore throat and cough is most likely to have swine flu and they should ring their gp.
Do not go into the surgery but arrange for the medication to be delivered.
My DD2 has had a nasty cough but no fever or sore throat.
It's difficult to tell now. Its going to be really confusing when the proper flu season starts sad

pooka Tue 14-Jul-09 13:31:06

How long is a long period? DD and ds had no major, but raised temps for about 2 - 3 days. Other symptoms - bit of a cough. Lack of appetite. Sore throat. But otherwise fairly perky.

blondissimo Tue 14-Jul-09 13:33:24

Very difficult to tell if your child has a sore throat if they are not at talking age - I only found out when GP looked at ds. Must be very worrying for parents of young dc's that cannot go to surgery.
Wonder if my ds did have it then as his temp was about 39! No cough though which is the weird thing - and although I had mild sore throat yesterday, neither dp nor I have symptoms?????? [confused emoticon]

Ripeberry Tue 14-Jul-09 13:35:13

More than 2 days of temp not going down and if Calpol and the stronger Calprofen don't help to bring it down. It was on BBC Breakfast this morning.

Niecie Tue 14-Jul-09 13:39:29

Apparently, unlike your average flu, SF does not necessarily come with a raised temperature. That was according to some official website - can't remember which one.

A cough seems to be the one thing that everybody has.

I think there are cases everywhere now but nobody knows for sure as they aren't testing any more.

I am staying out the way of people at the moment - I have a dry cough and sniffles but none of the other symptoms. I doubt it is flu but people are naturally wary I think.

blondissimo Tue 14-Jul-09 13:39:34

NHS direct told me not to take ds to surgery until he had a temp for at least 72 hours.......totally ignored them and took him after 2 days.
Was also told by the person who answered the call that although she wasn't medically trained, in her opinion a temp of 38 is not high shock!
Don't really think that the medically untrained call centre staff should be giving out advice like that!

pooka Tue 14-Jul-09 13:46:44

Ah well - their temps did come down a bit (below 38) with nurofen/calpol. Temp never carried on being high after a dose. Shucks - would love to imagine that they've had it, with me barely noticing. But sounds unlikely. And anyway, have heard that if SF mutates, mild bout now might not confer immunity.

staranise Tue 14-Jul-09 16:42:44

Well, DD has a temp of 39.5 and is still complaining of a headache but is otherwise not too bad (still asking for food...). Poor baby DS was better this afternoon but now his temp is up again to 38.8 and he's very grumpy, looks terrible. He has a pinprick rash but neither of them have a cough so don't think it is SF.

I can cope with DD being ill but hate it when babies are ill as you've no idea really whether it's seriosu or not. Have jsut given them more calpol again and will leave it an hour and see if that helps before phoning the doctor.

Worst of all, it looks like I'm going to have to cancel my evening out shock as was meeting a pregnant friend who has enough health problems of her own without me passing on the lurky! Hope everyone else is feeling better

bebejones Tue 14-Jul-09 17:02:16

My DD has had a temp of 38.5 all day even with the calpol & ibuprofen we have been giving her. She is so restless & has a dry cough & snotty nose/sneezing. Really bad nights sleep again for both of us. I felt awful first thing but feeling a bit better now. Started the tamiflu this am so hopefully things will improve!

I agree that it's horrid when babies are ill, you just don't know what feels bad!

stonethecrows Tue 14-Jul-09 20:10:45

Staranise

How is your little one now - have you called the doctor?

staranise Tue 14-Jul-09 22:18:36

Baby's temp is 39.2 and he's due some more calpol but he's asleep and I don't want to disturb him. He's very grumpy and has a pin-prick rash but is taking milk and has wet nappies etc. I still think half of it is teething as I can see his second tooth about to pop through and he keeps putting his fingers in his mouth, poor thing, he's groaning in his sleep.
DD is better, temp of 38.5 still, but she ate tea etc.
Doctor said it was impossible to diagnose babies over the phone with these vague symptoms and just to keep an eye on him - not let him sleep for too long without taking fluids and checking he's responsive etc and also to keep taking his temperature (not to guess by touch...I don't trust our old thermometer so will get a new one tomorrow).

Thanks for asking, will see how they are in the morning. I think DD will be okay, she tends to sleep these things off, and fingers crossed it's a 24-hour virus with DC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now