Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD (3.8)diagnosed with swine flu? If you've had it, does this sound right?

(6 Posts)
JudyBlume1019 Mon 13-Jul-09 16:38:54

Around about midnight last night she was wimpering in bed. Had a temp of 39.7 and was shaking, gave calpol and a cooling bath. Temp dropped in about 45 mins. This am she seemed fine, temp 37.4. She didn't eat much for breakfast then about 10ish her temp shot up to 40 (!). Again, calpol and bath temp dropped. Called GPs, spoke to local swine flu hotline thingie and they organised a prescription of tami flu, which my db collected.
She was in good spirits from about 11:15 until 2:30, ate a good lunch and seemed OK, temp just over 37. Then she crashed out on sofa, woke up at 3:30 ish shaking with a temp of 39.4. Calpol & bath and temp now 38.9, but she's much happier, not exactly chirpy.

Spoke to my GP and she said that she thinks they're over diagnosing, and not to give her tamiflu until she's showing other symptoms, as it can make them sick. She's coughing a little bit.

DB went to health shop and spoke to someone in there who said that they would be inclined to avoid tamiflu as it isn't doing much good anyway, and makes tham sick, and isn't licensed for under 5's??

Thing is, I don't understand the peaks and troughs with the fever, although I am glad of them. Also, not keen on the tamiflu if it's going to make her sick, but not make that much difference to the rest of the illness.

sad sad sad

Nemoandthefishes Mon 13-Jul-09 16:44:38

DD2 is on tamiflu and her temp goes in peaks and troughs. However she was also vomiting and has a really bad cough, sore throat etc. She was ill for 2 days before I phoned locum who prescribed tamiflu. Tamiflu is actually helping her and can tell when it is time for her next dose.

JudyBlume1019 Mon 13-Jul-09 16:46:17

thanks nemo, hope she's OK. was she vomiting before she took the tamiflu?

Nemoandthefishes Mon 13-Jul-09 16:53:48

yes she was vomiting about 2hrs after temp started. ds is alleged to have had it aswell and had d+v and temp on and off over 10days. so on and off that for 2 days i thought he was better and sent him back to schoolblush although am a bit wary of the diagnosis process!!

JudyBlume1019 Mon 13-Jul-09 16:59:59

thanks. So I guess I'll do the tamiflu. Did you actually see someone or did they diagnose over the phone?

Nemoandthefishes Mon 13-Jul-09 17:01:30

over the phone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now