Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My mums has been in direct contact with 3 people with swine flu, shes a doctors receptionost, they have told her to come into work ...

(9 Posts)
Disenchanted3 Mon 13-Jul-09 16:15:06

shes been looking after my sis who has it, and been here with me and DS.

She rang her manager at the surgery and she said 'oh its fine just come in'

Surely thats not right?!?

LIZS Mon 13-Jul-09 16:20:38

Advice seems to be no exclusion unless you exhibit symptoms - have you been tested ?

EffiePerine Mon 13-Jul-09 16:21:10

It's so widespread now it's unlikely to make a difference

if everyone who had been into contact stayed off work the economy would collapse

Rhubarb Mon 13-Jul-09 16:22:58

But if she's a doctor's receptionist then I presume she's coming into contact with vulnerable people?

However she isn't showing symptoms. But if I were her, I would be washing my hands on a regular basis and trying not to come into physical contact with any of the patients. First sign of a runny nose and she should stay off.

Disenchanted3 Mon 13-Jul-09 16:24:04

no not tested, just prescribed tamiflu aftyer relaying symptoms to GP on phone.

I just thought as she worked at a GPs coming in contact with people who have underlying problems, heart problems etc... that could be risky?

hannahsaunt Mon 13-Jul-09 16:37:18

Dh is a dr and has been in contact with people with swine flu ... he's at work.

lockets Mon 13-Jul-09 16:48:19

Message withdrawn

Disenchanted3 Mon 13-Jul-09 16:56:46

ets, I just rang gave him symptoms and we both got presribed it?!

I don't know.

difficultdecision Mon 13-Jul-09 17:59:11

'contact' is defined as being within one metre of a person for longer than one hour.

As a receptionist she is unlikely to be in that close contact with patient's and as long as she is assymptommatic (not the end of the world if she sneezes as long as she doesn't sneeze on anyone) and washes her hands she is no more a risk to anyone than anyone else.

Like hannahsaunt's husband, I'm in much closer contact with both people with swine flu and people with other illness every day - we can only be careful, there would be noone at the surgery to see patients if every well contact stayed at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now