Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine Flu ....should we panic ..

(113 Posts)
Iworryalot Mon 13-Jul-09 15:33:53

Another GP and a child i just heard on the radio have died from swine flu ....should we be worried ....

I am , i suffer with Anxiety at best of times now this is sending me crazy.....

anyone els ?

CrushWithEyeliner Mon 13-Jul-09 15:38:38

Yes I am getting stressed about it too now - I suffer from anxiety specifically related to health and I am struggling, not so much for myself but my family and DD. sad

Iworryalot Mon 13-Jul-09 15:47:30

I know im the same ... worried sick if the kids get it at school bring it home etc ..

shouldnt we all be vacinated ASAP i think ...

MY HA is building on this one i can tell ...

does anyone know what precautions we can take apart from moving to another country ?

noddyholder Mon 13-Jul-09 15:50:28

i am v worried too.2 teachers at ds school have it and are at home being treated.Spoke to my GP today as I have underlying health issues and he is a very laid back cool man but he is v concerned too and its not like him at all.i am praying for the vaccine asap

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Mon 13-Jul-09 15:52:46

I have just heard there is a confirmed case at DS's school. Am not very worried at the moment but hope we will be OK.

Iworryalot Mon 13-Jul-09 15:53:19

are your children still in school or have they closed it ?

it is a worry the covernment have to act fast on this give the vaccine to all NOW

Iworryalot Mon 13-Jul-09 15:54:37

I would keep mine off i think ..seems to effect people in different ways ...

MaggieBeeBeau Mon 13-Jul-09 15:56:02

I'll admit to being worried. Just read that a 6 yr old girl died. I have a 7 yr old with asthma, I have asthma, my son is three and my Mum has asthma and my dad has a heart condition......

So I wonder if any of us got it and then popped our clogs, would it be reported in the style of 'relax, relax, they had underlying medical conditions'. Half of my family have an 'underlying medical condition' but none of us is about to die you know!!

Be grateful you are in the UK, I'm in Ireland, and I just read that the tamiful the Irish gov purchased for the Avian flu scare is about to 'go off'. They're not ordering new tamiflu though. They're going to use the one that's about to go off and just hope that it still more less works. Grand so. hmm

Iworryalot Mon 13-Jul-09 15:59:05

gosh shock
i have a 7 and 9 year old ...what can we do to prevent getting it ? anyone know ?

noddyholder Mon 13-Jul-09 15:59:27

Ds school is still open and they have been advised its ok and any children with syptoms go home. My gp is going to treat ds with tamiflu at the first sign of any symptoms and give me prophylactics.

Iworryalot Mon 13-Jul-09 16:01:25

good ,whats prophylactis?

noddyholder Mon 13-Jul-09 16:04:57

Preventatives I think.I am thinking of hibernating until the vaccine is ready.I know its not full proof but nevertheless its something

Iworryalot Mon 13-Jul-09 16:08:27

me to got school hols soon so i will keep kids close to me and hope we dont get it annd then hope we can get vaccine for winter , but like you said its something , it really feels like one of those bad films that this sort of thing wipes out the world ...if you know what i mean ... god hope it doesnt ....sad

laurawantsababy Mon 13-Jul-09 16:10:08

I am very worried about this. I am 11 weeks pg and dd is only 1yo.

A case has been confirmed in a town now far away from us.

I didnt read on the BBC that the GP and child had any other illness before getting swine flu??

CrushWithEyeliner Mon 13-Jul-09 16:10:46

But it's impossible to hibernate isn't it? I mean that's what is freaking me personally. You just can't avoid this. DH works in London takes the train in every day, how can he stop working until it dies down and how can he avoid contact with us all? It's the inevitability of it all that is so scary for me as I suffer at the best of times with HA.

DH is sooo laid back about stuff like this, never seen a doctor in years and even he is saying he will have the jab immediately.

noddyholder Mon 13-Jul-09 16:10:57

I am keeping myself sane with the knowledge that more people died in that mini heatwave from heat related problems than have with this

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Mon 13-Jul-09 16:11:20

We've had a letter saying that school won't be closed but that we should be aware of the symptoms.

Only DH has asthma and not too badly although I have to say I would be encouraging him to have the vaccine I think.

Disenchanted3 Mon 13-Jul-09 16:11:34

Me and DS have got it

Ive just taken 1st tamiflu but DS can't get his till tomorrow due to messed up prescription.

I have anxiety too, am worried that my 6 month old will catch it.

Iworryalot Mon 13-Jul-09 16:12:01

i dont know if they did or not was just a news flash i heard .... but is getting more concerning the more we hear about it ..

laurawantsababy Mon 13-Jul-09 16:13:00

I work in a large company with a lot of people and worry that they will keep it quiet if anyone has it.

Are we within our rights to stay off of work if anyone gets it?

CrushWithEyeliner Mon 13-Jul-09 16:14:19

It all just gets worse - they anticipate more deaths in the late summer and winter.

Will the jabs be available for young children/babies do you think?

Iworryalot Mon 13-Jul-09 16:14:21

oh gosh disen, poor thing ....how are you ?

did the doc give you advice for your children ?

Danceaway Mon 13-Jul-09 16:14:45

My DD has cases at her school and i was glad when she woke with cold so could keep her home. To get things in perspective, there are around 10,000 cases in UK and only 16 I believe have died (nevertheless each a tragedy). Not wishing to panic anyone but the idea of it mutating and being a lot fiercer come winter is more worrying to me than the thought of any of us catching it now. Going to Center Parcs in few wks so as it is rife i expect it'll go round there. Most scared about who'd look after kids and how i'd get time to recover as we don't have relatives nearby and dh can't really take time off his job to be nurse.

AcademicMum Mon 13-Jul-09 16:19:25

Another one worried about swine flu here. DS2 is only 14 months, but has real trouble gaining weight and catches every bug going. I am terrified about what would happen if he caught it. This together with the fact that I am a university lecturer (at a university where there are a number of confirmed cases) and therefore when the students arrive back in September it is only a matter of time before contracting it.

What really annoys me though is that a contact of mine at Novartis told that they are already producing the flu vaccine and are just waiting for the WHO go-ahead that it can be injected, but the UK government doesn't have an agreement with Novartis and will therefore have to wait longer for delivery of a working vaccine.

Danceaway Mon 13-Jul-09 16:19:42

Laurawantsababy - if you are really worried you could prob get your doc to sign you off work. Make something up if you could live with it, if you don't think HA about swine flu sounds enough of a reason.
Don't know what to do but sit tight and hope for best. DH also on packed train & huge office so no avoiding unless I take kids to shetlands for forseeable. Not really practical.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now