Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine Flu vs any old virus - what are the distinguishing features? Any ideas?

(8 Posts)
TheProfiteroleThief Mon 13-Jul-09 14:31:56

DD sent home with
high temp (98.7)
shivering
aching joints

don't think we have been directly exposed to anyone with swine flu - but how are you supposed to tell? I don't think they are swabbing now are they?

NHS direct symptom checker not v helpful, docs not open for another 1/2 hour, so seeking sensible opinion here.

Do you just treat the symptoms and keep an eye on them?

uptomyeyes Mon 13-Jul-09 14:36:37

DS1 off school with swine flu - diagnosed by GP over the phone this morning.

He had temp of 103 (controlled with ibuprofen now).
Shivering
Mega headache
aches and pains
tingling skin
Bit of a cough and runny nose yesterday but not today.

HTH

TheProfiteroleThief Mon 13-Jul-09 14:38:01

I have dosed her thoroughly, but she has just scoffed some custard creams - that seems at variance with the 'cannot life head from pillow' that I thought was expected with flu.

I sometimes worry I am a bit hearty

TwoIfBySea Mon 13-Jul-09 14:39:27

Use this guide to check.

I don't think they are swabbing either, from what I have heard, if you are concerned you should contact NHS Direct or NHS 24 if you are up here in Scotland. Though don't tell my friend I told you to phone as they are completely overwhelmed at the moment!

Hope your dd gets better. I'm concerned as my dts2 is prone to getting colds and had the flu last winter. It looks like the government is doing the usual ostrich-treatment of sticking their head in the sand and hoping it goes away!

uptomyeyes Mon 13-Jul-09 14:41:12

DS1 (usually hearty appetite, can't keep head out of the fridge) has eaten one small corner of a piece of bread since saturday afternoon)so perhaps your DD's swine flu hasn't quite peaked yey grin....I am struggling to maintain Florence Nightingale role... keep drifting to internet.

TheProfiteroleThief Mon 13-Jul-09 14:43:39

hmm I was wondering about peaks and troughs of illness. Swine troughs presumably???

My gut instinct is that she is poorly, but I don't think SF. But I feel remiss if I ignore and it gets worse.

Theinvisibleone Mon 13-Jul-09 15:09:30

My DD just came back from playschool with high temp, sore throat and achy limbs. Last year I would have just dosed her up and let it run, but this time I have phoned my surgery and am awaiting a call back from the doctor.

Theinvisibleone Mon 13-Jul-09 15:50:34

They have prescribed tamiflu as she has 90% of the symptoms, but basically you will never know as they are not swabbing them anymore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now