Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine flu...no, or maybe yes...?

(25 Posts)
abraid Mon 13-Jul-09 13:47:19

I have felt weak, achey and lethargic for over a week. My neck feels stiff. I have only had a very slightly raised temperature for one day, no sickness, and am only slightly bunged up and have a slight headache. The worst thing is the tiredness. I checked my symptoms on NHS Direct and it said probably not swine flu.

Nobody else seems affected in my family, though my daughter has a bit of a runny noise (could be hay fever, though)and is irritable (though it is the end of a very busy school year, so the latter is not surprising). However, at her school, one child is off with SF. This child is not in her year and she doesn't play with him at break.

I occasionally get an auto-immune illness with similar symptoms, but now I'm starting to wonder. Did anyone else who had confirmed SW have rather nebulous symptoms like me?

Sorry, I know these 'Is it SW?' threads are getting tiresome.

cass66 Mon 13-Jul-09 14:48:25

I agree with NHS direct. (makes a change!!)

Not sudden enough for SF. probably had a viral illness and now feel tired after it.

abraid Mon 13-Jul-09 15:50:43

Thanks, cass66. I was just feeling mildly guilty that I hadn't been quarantining myself.

anjlix Mon 13-Jul-09 22:21:31

I feel the same way. Extreme fatigue, want to sleep all day, stiff neck, body ache, ear ache, stuffy nose (but no runny), itchy throat, medium headache. Been feeling like this for 2 weeks but getting better. Got all possible tests done except swine flu. It does look like I am in post viral fatigue.

abraid Tue 14-Jul-09 08:25:51

It sounds just like me, anjlix.

abraid Tue 14-Jul-09 19:00:42

I've now got a strange pain in my right shoulder blade and my chest feels tight. I think I may have some kind of chest infection, which would account for why I've been feeling quite so fatigued.

anjlix Tue 14-Jul-09 19:08:49

My chest felt tight yesterday. Dont have it today. But have a ear ache and itcy ears and generally painful glads on the right side of the face. Neck is still stiff. Some other people have similar symptoms. Perhaps something viral going around. I got swabbed for bacterial and viral today. Will let you know if anything comes back.

abraid Tue 14-Jul-09 19:51:02

Yes, please do! Did your GP's surgery do the swabbing?

anjlix Tue 14-Jul-09 19:54:52

Nope they are not doing it. I got it done privately along with a slew of blood work. A non specific marker called ESR is high which means I have something that my body is fighting but they dont know what it is.

abraid Tue 14-Jul-09 19:57:15

Oh, how interesting. I must admit that my BUPA Well Woman check-up in January was most illuminating. We don't have that medical cover any more but I'm thinking of paying myself for another one.

dizzymac Tue 14-Jul-09 20:00:11

Oh! I have this too. It's been going on too long for flu and hasn't laid me low but I'm sooo tired with a sore neck and occasional headache. I blame DD1. She has a croupy cough and I ALWAYS et this when she has it.
I have no temp and to be honest after the 1st couple of days put flu out of my mind. We are going away next monday though so I hope its gone then!!!

abraid Tue 14-Jul-09 20:06:04

I am starting to think we caught it from MN...[puts on face mask]

anjlix Wed 15-Jul-09 12:31:28

How do you all feel today. I think I am getting better but still sleep a lot and a bit shivery. Also glands on neck feel swollen. Ear is no longer paining and itchy. Stomach is a bit runny. A little bit of headache. Fatigue is a bit less.

CountessDracula Wed 15-Jul-09 12:38:02

I have had this and today the dr said that they have been told that plenty of swine flu presents without temperatures and that this is 99% certain to be it

She said the only reason they didn't think it was before was due to no temperature
but I have had nausea, sore throat, swollen glands, exhaustion. Then runny nose, more sore throat, blocked ears, sore chest

carmenelectra Wed 15-Jul-09 12:39:43

I HAVE FELT TERRIBLE FOR A COUPLE OF WKS NOW OFF AND ON.

Not symptoms of a cold at all, but feeling sick all the time, abdominal pain like an upset stomach, gassy feeling, slight headache and terrible terible tiredness. I am pregnant but it has been more than that.

I finally went to the dr who said it was viral. I still feel the same. It is really getting me down. I just want to sleep. Eating little snacks but no meals as loss of appetite.

I have been in contact with swine flu patients at work, but i dont seem to be symptomatic of that.

carmenelectra Wed 15-Jul-09 12:40:38

Oh and i had terrible diarrhoea yesterday but nothing since,

anjlix Wed 15-Jul-09 12:42:09

Well lots of people complaining about terrible fatigue along with a slew of common symptoms. Me and my au pair have identical symptoms. I got swabbed so lets see what it says.

carmenelectra Wed 15-Jul-09 12:43:26

I wish id got swabbed now out of interest. I cant remember the last time i felt so under the weather

abraid Wed 15-Jul-09 13:30:31

I shall wait the results of the swabbings with interest!

I feel a little better today. But it's been 11 days now.

abraid Wed 15-Jul-09 13:30:33

I shall wait the results of the swabbings with interest!

I feel a little better today. But it's been 11 days now.

CountessDracula Wed 15-Jul-09 13:32:50

they aren't swabbing round here
so I will too!

anjlix Wed 15-Jul-09 15:28:24

Okay so they said they wont test the swab for pig flu so I will have no clue. Lets see what the bacterial one says...

anjlix Thu 16-Jul-09 12:35:48

I feel better but still quite tired. I dont know what it is yet. Abraid what autoimmune disease do you normally get which is similar. I am wondering if I have something more serious. Its been nearly a month since I noticed this tired feeling. I ignored it the first couple of weeks but then I got really down. Now I am not as down but need to sleep a lot during the day to do normal activities.

abraid Thu 16-Jul-09 16:02:20

I have something that is similar to rheumatoid arthritis, but I only get it when my lifestyle is not running smoothly and I'm not taking care of myself, which has been the case for the last month as I've been rushing to finish a big project.

(I also found out my period was due--which explained the referred pain on my back.)

abraid Thu 16-Jul-09 16:02:23

I have something that is similar to rheumatoid arthritis, but I only get it when my lifestyle is not running smoothly and I'm not taking care of myself, which has been the case for the last month as I've been rushing to finish a big project.

(I also found out my period was due--which explained the referred pain on my back.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now