Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Son's teacher has swine flu, my baby is overdue. Tamiflu options, induction, sweep, emigrate, risks...aaaaggh!! From an anti swine flu panic person

(7 Posts)
hobbgoblin Mon 13-Jul-09 09:21:28

A number of cases in school already plus suspected ones. Sign up today in playground to say DS2's teacher has most likely got it (he is ill and his baby of 8 months has a confirmed case).

This is a Reception teacher so plenty of close proximity teaching going on!

Now, I understand that the issue with swine flu is the spread and less so the condition itself but I do also realise that a newborn with flu is not good. Also, being in labour with flu would not be good due to exhaustion and so on.

I'm 4 days overdue. I'm wondering what to do, out of all the things I CAN control such as asking for sweep so baby comes now. Would it be better to keep other DC off school, try and keep baby in rather than actively try and bring on birth. Is it better for me to try hard to catch flu now so I have antibodies that will be passed on to baby in utero and through milk?

I am confused.

hobbgoblin Mon 13-Jul-09 10:15:42

Just spoken to Community Midwife and they advised not bothering with a sweep and just to carry on as normal, with good hygiene, plenty of fluids.

So, suppose I'll have to keep control freakery in check.

jetcat32 Mon 13-Jul-09 10:41:46

bless, hope you're all ok, and little baby is fine smile Must be a very worrying time for you!

LadyOfWaffle Mon 13-Jul-09 10:44:58

I'd keep DCs off school...

LadyOfWaffle Mon 13-Jul-09 10:45:23

And good luck with the birth and everything x

Nemoandthefishes Mon 13-Jul-09 10:46:56

I know its stressful but try not to panic. Follow good basic hygiene with hands etc and you will be fine. Dd2 has it at the min,ds is suspected to have had it already and I have a 4wk old who apart from a snotty nose is not showing any signs.

hobbgoblin Mon 13-Jul-09 10:51:21

Thanks for the sympathy jetcat

I'm tempted to finish the term early LoW, I really am!

Nemo, my sympathies, it must be quite worrying having a teeny baby and knowing there is inevitable exposure. This is exactly what bothers me, plus the being in labour and being unwell issue.

My best friend probably has it now but hasn't been tested and her daughter probably had it (according to GP) a couple of weeks ago and we have been with them loads.

I had an unexplained cough a couple of weeks ago, DD had a bad cold and DS1 also had a mystery cough but at the time didn't think it was any sort of flu. DD was illest. Would be lovely if we had all had it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now