Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So apparently I could have Swine Flu - should I tell anyone?

(9 Posts)
sameagain Fri 10-Jul-09 18:23:11

I have some symtoms and GP says I can have Tamiflu "if I want it"

TBH I don't feel that ill and only phoned GP because I was nagged into it, but apparently it can be milder than normal flu.

So, do I need to tell people I've been in contact with/work/DCs school or is that just worrying people unecessarily?

diedandgonetodevon Fri 10-Jul-09 18:26:04

You need to inform your employer as you won't be able to go in with suspected swine flu.

bargainhuntingbetty Fri 10-Jul-09 18:26:26

What are yoour symptoms??? Have you been coughing and spluttering etc so you could have passed it on??? I would ask the gp if it is worth telling people. Although TBH I dont think they are preventing it now I think they are just treating people who have it so I dont actually think I would let people know. Not much heelp am I?? Hope you feel better soon

sameagain Fri 10-Jul-09 18:32:28

I was fine yesterday and have been off work today with "a bug"

Symptoms are slight temp, aches, cough, dodgy tummy, runny nose but not completely wiped out like I always thought you are with flu.

GP's advice was that there's no need to tell anyone as no precautions recommended re contact, but I know people who have had it at work so far have told the company and the company have been closing affected offices.

TBH I don't really believe I have it as I'm not that ill, so don't want to be a drama queen and tell everyone I've got it when it's really just a cold/stomach bug

Frizbe Fri 10-Jul-09 18:35:20

Radio news advice earlier today was 'nhs direct are snowed under, don't call them unless your in a danger group, instead stay at home for 7-10 days and take over the counter remedies'!!!!! change of tack eh!

bargainhuntingbetty Fri 10-Jul-09 18:36:28

I know someone whos 2 year old hadd it and she said that it wasnt really that bad. It was still in the early days he had it so he was swabbed annd the whole family were treated but her other kids didnt get it. They did have tonsilitis at the time and she said that they were sicker than the child with swine flu. She thinks it has been greatly exagerated by the media and that it really isnt as bad as they are making out. It is possible that you have it and you are just going to get off lightly.

bargainhuntingbetty Fri 10-Jul-09 18:37:16

Stay at home for 7-10 days shock. I must get out every day otherwise I get cabin fever. Hope I dont get it.

Frizbe Fri 10-Jul-09 18:51:54

you'll have to do laps of the garden grin

Qally Fri 10-Jul-09 18:51:56

I've had it and thought it was just a really vicious cold - but then the baby had it and was pretty unwell - nasty rash, very high temp., spots in his throat, dreadful cough. He got Tamiflu, but there wasn't any point my having it, as I'd been ill more than 48 hours which is the threshold. The bug wasn't too bad, but I did get a horrible chest infection as a parting gift. But it's mild, as flu goes, in fact like you I didn't even think it was flu.

I think the real worry is if it mutates into something very severe, in which case having had it now might be handy in terms of immunity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now