Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Have just done NHS Direct Swine Flu checker and it says I need to all GP urgently

(13 Posts)
sameagain Fri 10-Jul-09 16:09:24

Surely not?

I am unwell, but I only did the test because I was nagged into it by a well meaning friend.

Someone at work has had it.

I have a cough, sore-throat, ear ache, aching legs, churning tummy and possibly slight temp (no thermometer), but have been well enough to make my own drinks and mumsnet all day. That can't be flu can it?

brimfull Fri 10-Jul-09 16:10:38

depends if you want the tamiflu jab

are they still giving it out?

I am completely clueless

Nemoandthefishes Fri 10-Jul-09 16:10:46

I have just done the same in regards to my children and am supposed to phone. They all have had temps and have 4wk old and a asthmatic 3yr old..arghh
someone has just been diagnosed this mornign in ds school and was his first day back after being ill

Bettymum Fri 10-Jul-09 16:12:18

Everyone at work who's done the checker has been told to see their GP urgently. We have had 3 confirmed cases here, I think that's maybe why. I have had a sore throat and a bit of a temperature, but I'm pretty sure I don't have swine flu. Maybe see how you feel tomorrow? GPs are probably snowed under with calls!

missmapp Fri 10-Jul-09 16:13:10

Dont think they are giving out tamiflu anymore unless you have underlying conditions, but sounds like it might be wise to ring gps

sameagain Fri 10-Jul-09 16:49:42

Don't really want the drugs for myself, but don't know if I should tell work (could be people in high risk groups) or DC's school. Also, we are due to go on hols in 2 weeks, so would like to know one way or the other really.

Thanks everyone. I have called GP and they have said they will get someone to call back - feel a bit guilty for wasting their time, but am following their advice I suppose.

Elibean Fri 10-Jul-09 16:59:20

Don't feel guilty, you are following advice as you rightly say...and yes, it could be swine flu, its still fairly mild for some people (not all) and I know confirmed local cases that were (I quote) 'temp of 38, slight headache, bit achey'.

Though only a third of flu-like illness presenting to GPs is supposedly swine flu, atm, or so I read somewhere.

sameagain Fri 10-Jul-09 17:09:14

Have now spoken to GP - who says I might have it and can have Tamiflu if I want it, but that it's a very toxic drug, which will reduce the course of the flu by around 1 day, so not really necessary unless in a high risk group, which I'm not.

Asked if I should tell work/DCs school and was told absolutely not, no precautions recommended for contact, which seems a bit odd as the large company I work for is currently closing offices where 1 person has had it. Now I have a dilemma, my colleagues will be most put out if I had the opportunity to get them a week off work and did't use it. hmm

brimfull Fri 10-Jul-09 18:18:51

'a very toxic drug' -that's a bit worrying.

ds and i have asthma am now in quandry whether to get jab whne we inevitabely get it

PerfectPrefect Fri 10-Jul-09 18:26:24

ggirl....it does have quite a lot of side effects (most drugs have some side effects).

Unless you have underlying conditions you should indeed think twice about taking it and determine (with GPs advice) whether the benefits (1 day shortened illness) outweigh the risks/side effects.

If you do have underlying conditions then the benefits are potentially greater, and therefore the risks less of an issue.

PerfectPrefect Fri 10-Jul-09 18:31:20

TBH the common side effects aren't actually dangerous - I think it is mostly upset tummy & headache (which you will probably get with swine flu anyway)....but is it worth it for 1 day less if you are in a low risk group - probbably not.

Is it worth it if you have mild well controlled asthma - probably

Is it worth it if you have a more serious underlying condition, or severe/uncontrolled asthma - almost certainly.

All medicines come down to a risk benefit assessment - this will be different for different individuals.

bamboostalks Fri 10-Jul-09 18:34:06

So why don't you?

PerfectPrefect Fri 10-Jul-09 18:37:12

Why don't you what?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now