Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I know I know swine flu thread but please read

(27 Posts)
Nemoandthefishes Fri 10-Jul-09 16:06:43

First swine flu case has appeared in DS school... Ds has been ill last week and a half but was on and off with a temp, throwing up, diahorria etc.He went back to school this morning but still has a cough.DD3[4wks] has had what I thought was a bad cold with a high end of normal temp[37] for the last 2 days but assumed there was not a lot could be done and was her first cold. DD2 has woken up this morning with the temp, cough and hurting as she puts it. During the day dd1 has started coughing and with temp.To be honest my 2 big concerns would be DD3[4wks] with her being so young and dd1[3.6yrs] with her asthma. Little boy was sent home this morning and he is one of the boys adam plays with. Out of his class there were 10 children out of 30 missing today and apparently has been like that the last few days.

Looked at symptoms online and can tick of a few but really is it different to a normal cold/flu bug and do I need to get tamiflu and have us all confind to the house for the next week or so?

Nemoandthefishes Fri 10-Jul-09 16:15:10

anyone?

nellie12 Fri 10-Jul-09 16:27:57

No answers I'm afraid but what have you got to lose by ringing GP? If you need tamiflu they will give it to you and they do want to know about your 4wo baby.

sameagain Fri 10-Jul-09 16:28:27

As baby is so young and your little girl has asthma, I'd definitely call GP ASAP. They'd both be classed as high risk (think all under 5's are) but GP will be able to tell you what you need to do.

Like you say probably just a cold, but check for the little ones. Best wishes.

devotion Fri 10-Jul-09 16:28:58

Hello

If they have flu symptoms then it is most probably swine flu as its not normal flu season.

Swiene flu at the moment is weaker than normal flu so the main thing is to control their temps.

I would call your doctor because your baby and child with asthma are higher risk and they may give suitable medication for them which shortens the length of time they are il

Have a look at the NHS Direct websitem, there is lots of info on there.

It sounds like they are all coping ok with it at the moment so try not worry. You should call your gp to see what the latest advice is, they keep changing it.

My parents had swine flu (gp thinks) and are ok now although my mum still has the cough due to it bringing out her asthma. She has been told to use her inhaler twice a day.

They were ill for one week but her cough is still hanging about. I dont think she uses her inhaler right.

Take care and call your gp or nhs direct, with a baby so young its always best to get advice as soon as you can.

Sparks Fri 10-Jul-09 16:29:17

I think your best bet would be to ring your GP and explain the situation. He/she would be able to advise re tamiflu or not.

Doesn't sound like DS has had flu tbh.

I have a cold and a cough and I'm getting fed up with the number of times people have mentioned swine flu to me. It's just a cold!

moonmother Fri 10-Jul-09 16:31:55

Ring your Gp- I had to this morning for my Ds (5).

I wasn't really sure whether he had it or not , as he's not 'wiped' out by it, but Gp is pretty sure he has.

She offered me the antivirals, but as he only has a mild case , I'd rather not use them when someone else may need them more.

It will put your own mind at rest- I felt silly ringing, but Gp was great and reassured me they would rather people ring and get the anti-virals if they need them (ie High risk, babies etc) than carry on at home and then possibly end up in hospital.

devotion Fri 10-Jul-09 16:33:01

the main difference between a cold/cough and swine flu is a cold usually builds over days before it peaks. with swine flu it comes out of nowhere like normal flu and instantly you have all the symptoms, sore throat, cough, achy limbs, temp et

Nemoandthefishes Fri 10-Jul-09 16:35:33

devotion thanks [and everyone else of course]
sympotoms have just been woken up with and no signs prior.

devotion Fri 10-Jul-09 22:05:04

hope all is well or eases over the next few days for you.

take care x

Nemoandthefishes Sat 11-Jul-09 15:14:03

DD2 has been given tamiflu due to temp thats not reducing and d+v. However she has just thrown up the first dosehmm
Nothing for dd1 or dd3 despite them both being high risk cases..apparently I have to wait and see if they develop anything.

devotion Sat 11-Jul-09 18:43:50

Hello

Hope DD2's temp is going down and she manages to keep the next dose down.
How many doses does she need to take a day?
Whats a d+v.
At least you know what to do now.
Maybe the other two will not really have it bad.
My mother and father had it, my father is on chemo (bowel cancer) so his immune system is not very good right now but he got through it better and quicker than my mum and he is high risk.

Take care x

DesperateHousewifeToo Sat 11-Jul-09 18:53:50

d + v

diarrhoea and vomitting.

Hope your dcs are better very soon.

devotion Sat 11-Jul-09 20:55:00

doh! thanks blush

Amberc Sat 11-Jul-09 21:08:49

My DS (12 months) has suspected swine flu, he's on the mend now. He just woke up with a 40 degree fever and the worst diarrhoea we have ever seen. His nursery has three branches within half a mile and there were two cases in one and one at another so it was only a matter of time. We didn't take the Tamiflu as I thought the side effects would be way worse than the actual symptoms - nausea and diarrhoea on top of the raging fever. His temperature yesterday was between 39 and 40 and the only thing that brought it down was 10ml of Calpol (had 3 calls from doc as he was deteriorating before that and they told us to give him that much). Today he is much better, still hot but not fevery. He actually picked up a couple of toys today.

I do hope your kids get better soon. I was just saying to my post natal thread that I guess none of us will really know for sure whether our children have swine flu or something else which is frustrating. I would like to think that going through all this means that he will have built up some immunity but he may well have something completely unrelated!

Good luck Nemoandthefishes and anyone else whose little ones are suffering.

devotion Sun 12-Jul-09 22:30:05

Oh dear I'm praying dd6 has not got it, she got out of bed complaining she felt hot, her body was hot when she is normally cold. her temp is normal but she said she feels a bit sick.

i guess if she has got it then i'll know in the next few hours.

i just cant handle this with my 24 hour morning sickness right now and then dd3 and dh and me? - arghhhh!

send me strength!

two2many Sun 12-Jul-09 22:43:51

sending strength to devotion smile

devotion Mon 13-Jul-09 11:45:04

thanks, well i checked her twice in the night and she was cool. this morning she went to school and didnt mention a thing so i guess she is fine.

thank you

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Mon 13-Jul-09 13:52:04

my dd (5) started with a temp yesterday and i calpol would not bring it down.We spoke to the doc this morning and and due to her symptoms (high temp,aching joints,sickness and the runs,headache and sore throat) and the fact both my sister and my niece have got it ,he faxed through a prescription for tamiflu to the health centre.It came from nowhere as somebody has mentioned and its floored her

i just hope that ds (19mth) will be ok

Nemoandthefishes Mon 13-Jul-09 15:52:24

DD2 is still quite poorly, lethargoc, coughing slight temp but not as bad and generally not a happy camper.
DD1 has a irritating cough but nothing else at the min but need to keep close eye on her as she goes from fine to not able to breath very quickly with her asthma.
DS has been in school and DD3 is still happy but snotty!!

My chest is burning and have been snotty with sore throat etc but nothing wouldnt equate with a bad cold.

devotion Thu 16-Jul-09 11:02:33

Nemoandthefishes - hows things?

hope your all on the mend.

x

MrsFrin Thu 16-Jul-09 18:21:26

My son (20 months) was diagnosed with it yesterday based on a high temp (39 degrees or so) and cough that wasn't caused by a throat or ear infection (GP examined him). I'm not 100% convinced he has it and DH and I have not symptoms (and I'm 33 weeks pregnant) , however he had Tamiflu last night and this morning and is markedly better with no temp at all, therefore if you're offered it I would take it.

TitsalinaBumsquash Thu 16-Jul-09 18:26:18

I hope your LO's get better soon, i am terrified of DS getting it he's got Cystic Fibrosis so hes real high risk, in the last few hrs my chest feels chey and my throat is a bit sore. sad I really hope i don't get it, my fault for sitting in a sold out cinema last night, i was in contact with tons of people! sad

tankgirl2000ad Thu 16-Jul-09 18:34:54

Hi MNetters - first time poster so please excuse any howlers re acronyms or the like...

Has anyone been given any advice on protecting babies? I have a 6 week old and would appreciate any thoughts. Situation as follows.

DP was given Tamiflu by OOH service following call back from NHS direct (very helpful you'll all be pleased to know!). He isolated self in spare room and we stocked up on dettol wipes etc and wiped down surfaces with DP only appearing out of spare room with mask and not entering rooms where DS and I were.

Monday p.m. DS and I left for south coast to stay with gran. We didn't go sooner as I had 6 week post natal check up with GP and thought I could pick her brain - she was reassuring about what we'd done so far and agreed it might be best to head for hills.

Since I've been here I've now developed snotty nose and have felt like I've had a few hot flushes - but my temp is in normal range. To be on safe side I've armed myself with Milton wipes and hand gel and am following hand hygiene and catch it bin it advice and when I can't wash hands immediately use the gel and try to do so before handling DS (altho as you can imagine this is sometimes a bit tricky)

Is there any more I can do? I'm trying to avoid putting my head too close to DS (boo! at 6 weeks he just demands to be kissed!), keeping windows open and letting gran take him as much as she wants. So far DS has shown no symptoms - I've been checking his temp twice a day - but he's a bit restless today.

If anyone has been given any good advice about caring for their baby whilst swine flu in the home I'd be grateful. If not moral support would do...!

MrsFrin Thu 16-Jul-09 18:43:24

Hi Tankgirl, no specific advice on babies, however I would say that the temp comes on very quickly with flu and as the GP said, you definitely know you have a temperature, not just a case of feeling a bit flushed, therefore it sounds unlikely either of you have it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now