Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Asthma swine Flu

(10 Posts)
tiredsville Thu 09-Jul-09 20:48:32

Contact within 48hrs if "asthma drugs have been used in the past three years". Does this mean both oral and inhaled steroids or just oral steroids??

tiredsville Thu 09-Jul-09 20:49:18

sorry *contact GP*

whomovedmychocolate Thu 09-Jul-09 20:52:12

Both.

Lulumama Thu 09-Jul-09 20:54:41

was wondering about this, as i take inhaled steroids twice a day for asthma, and have a friend whose had swine flu, so have been exposed.

no symptoms yet, although very tired and headacehy the other day, but not developed into anything

tiredsville Thu 09-Jul-09 21:08:27

Thanks choc. I too have been in contact with swine flu, along with taking oral steroids twice daily for the past seven years.
I have felt really groggy the past couple of days, fatigue with cough and slight temperature, though definitely not feeling ill enough to warrant making a call to the GP.

magnolia74 Thu 09-Jul-09 21:16:39

Dd4 has steroid inhalers, her teaching assistant has confirmed swine flu and our g.p prescribed tamiflu for her just to be on the safe side.

sphil Thu 09-Jul-09 22:24:36

DS2 is autistic and asthmatic - he is on regular inhaled steroids and had oral steroids last winter.He goes to m/s school but has some sessions in the special school next door, where I also attend a parents' group and am a governor. I've been there today and DS2 has been over once this week. We got a letter tonight saying one of the TAs has swine flu.

Do you think this is sufficient contact to warrant asking for Tamiflu? Or am I panicking unecessarily?

Novacane Thu 09-Jul-09 22:38:22

The best thing to do is phone your GP and explain the situation. They should have all the up to date info (all ppl in the profession who are dealing with SF get an update if anything changes).
FWIW, I would wait and see if your LO develops any symptoms, in the phase we are in atm (the treatment phase) I don't think you would get treament unless your LO was showing symptoms. Your GP is your best call HTH

Novacane Thu 09-Jul-09 22:40:50

There will also be a 'FLU LINE' that the public can use once we get into the swing of things, to ease the burden on primary care, AFAIK, they will be able to dish out Tamiflu if it is warranted.

sphil Fri 10-Jul-09 11:54:23

Phoned GP this morning - he said DS2 should avoid contact with anyone who seems ill but still go into school. At the first sign of illness, however mild, we should contact him again, when DS2 would 'probably be treated'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now