Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

swine flu query...

(7 Posts)
blondiep14 Thu 09-Jul-09 20:12:59

Have posted in health but think it might be busier here!
MIL works as a TA at a school which has had today 2 cases of SF confirmed and the main teacher she works with is off sick with symptoms but as yet no diagnosis.
I am 14 weeks pregnant and DS is 17m old, I understand we are 'high risk' groups so should we stay away, and for how long for? Last time we saw her was Tuesday, she herself feels fine.

hawesmead5 Thu 09-Jul-09 20:28:49

Hi there
No idea what you should do really but just to let you know I'm in a similar situation. I am a teacher in a school and am constantly having parents coming in to tell me that their child has been in contact with other children from a different school who have been confirmed as having swine flu. I guess if I was you I would give it a week to be sure.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 09-Jul-09 20:32:41

Unless your MiL has symptoms she has no more chance of having it than anyone else! But if you wish to quarantine yourself seven days will allow anyone who has symptoms to pop up.

blondiep14 Thu 09-Jul-09 20:34:52

ah, thanks. I don't really wish to quarantine myself, MIL was supposed to be taking DS for the day on Saturday so am just a bit unsure as to whether that would just be silly, or is not a big risk IYSWIM?

whomovedmychocolate Thu 09-Jul-09 20:37:26

Well depends where she's taking him - toddler licking at the Bull Ring, Birmingham, probably v unwise, but if she has no symptoms on Saturday she's probably fine to take him to the park.

Look, I know this is a scary time for you (and for everyone) but really, practice good hand hygiene and obviously keep away from people who appear to be sick and you will most likely be fine

blondiep14 Thu 09-Jul-09 20:43:37

grin thanks chocie, it's a county show and i'm oblivious if she's entered him in to the toddler licking contest or not but i would think not!
I'm usually quite a sensible gal but DP & MIL tend to err on the side of caution (panic) so wanted some balanced advice.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 09-Jul-09 20:46:15

Make sure she doesn't snog any pigs either! grin

BTW about 12% of pregnant women get flu anyway, the odds have only increased very slightly. And toddlers normally have a very good immune system - especially those who go to nursery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now