Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Suspected swine flu at DD's nursery WWYD?

(13 Posts)
ElenorRigby Thu 09-Jul-09 13:09:34

The nursery manager let me know that a toddler and her mum had gone down with it.
WWYD?
Schools used to close if swine flu hit, is that not happening now?
Has anyone experience of swine flu? How bad is it, what were the symptoms?

misdee Thu 09-Jul-09 13:11:19

i would send my chilod in as normal.

and keep an eye out for symptoms.

dd3 has had suspected swine flu. ill for 2days, aching for a few days, fine for one, back to feeling sick and aching today. on day 6/7now.

LynetteScavo Thu 09-Jul-09 13:16:40

Misdee - that's exactly like DH he was fine for one day, then slept for 24 hours. Tis on odd virus! (He wasn't confirmed as swine flu)

TBH, I think it's unavoidable now, so would still send to nursery.

littlerach Thu 09-Jul-09 13:18:53

Dd2 has had it, according to the dr.
She was ill for 2 or 3 days then got better after about 5.
None of us caught it though.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 09-Jul-09 13:18:56

I would probably still send DD to nursery, and keep an eye on her for symptoms, take to the docs if she displays any.

She has a very strong immune system so I would think she would be able to handle it ok, but if she had a lower immune system and found it harder to shake bugs or had other health issues I would re-consider that.

FeelingLucky Thu 09-Jul-09 13:19:47

DD's nursery has also had a suspected case of swine flu and we have been advised to send our children in as usual, which is what I'm doing.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 09-Jul-09 14:02:04

Don't take her to the docs if she gets symptoms! phone doc instead and get advice.
If she hasn't got conditions that might cause her problems then I'd send her in tbh, cos very soon its going to be unavoidable.

ChopsTheDuck Thu 09-Jul-09 14:05:25

we live in hot spot area, and there are cases everywhere, we are jsut carrying on as normal with our fingers crossed!
I think unless there are any underlying health issues, that is what you should do.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 09-Jul-09 14:29:23

No OYBC I realised once I posted, thats not what I meant grin I meant call Docs. Imagine, in the surgery 'oh yes, my DD, she might have swine flu' grin I good way to clear the surgery though hmm grin

ElenorRigby Thu 09-Jul-09 14:31:30

Thanks for your replies. Will keep I close eye on DD.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Thu 09-Jul-09 14:34:39

DS2 had swabs taken yesterday for swine flu, she didn't want to do them she wanted to just prescribe tamiflu but he reacts badly to antibiotics (nappies full of blood) so I don't want him to have it unless he really needs it.

At the moment we are staying at home but we have had no guidance from the GP about who we should tell or what we can or can't do.

DS1 is still going to school as he is well, yet if the virus is as bad as they say, he is probably taking it into school with him.
DH is going to work and probably taking it to work with him.

I have no idea what you should do OP, sorry for ranting, as far as I understand it it really is going to be better to get it before the winter sets in.

ElenorRigby Tue 14-Jul-09 09:16:30

4 Days on...
Yesterday DD was ill at nursery with a temp of 102F very unwell etc. Had a phone consultation and she was prescribed Tamiflu.
Still not a well baby today but getting enough Calpol and Calprofen into her to keep her comfortable.

Mummywannabe Tue 14-Jul-09 15:49:41

Sorry to hear that
We have a case at my nursery (i manage it) not sending DS 1yr as he has asthma and worried for him. If the nursery has suspected cases for weeks i might have to rethink.

Hope your DD gets better soon. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now