Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I'm 29 weeks pregnant and terrified of getting swine flu!

(6 Posts)
memoo Thu 09-Jul-09 09:37:03

I don't usually get worried about things like this and after all its just flu which the vast majority of infected people have recovered from.

Its just that i am 29 weeks pregnant and know I won't be able to take tamiflu if i get it so im really scared!

DH's work collague has been off work as his wife has it so there is a good chance that DH and the rest of his collagues have been exposed.

Does anyone know what happens if you get swine flu while pregnant?

HappyTangerine Thu 09-Jul-09 13:38:59

If you were to show symptoms and doctors decided to prescribe antivirals, you'd get Relenza rather than Tamiflu, that seems to be the option for pregnant women as its inhaled and seen as less risk to baby.

I can understand your concerns but by all accounts this seems to be mild in most people.The CDC reckon 1 million people in the U.S have had it and most have recoved without seeing a doctor - the trouble is, interviewing people that have recovered and are now fine is not sexy news.

I'm 28 weeks pg, asthmatic and came back from holiday last week. Had my 28 week check with midwife on Monday at 9am and was fine. By 4pm was coughing, aching, headache from hell and in bed. Slept through a large part of Tuesday. Felt rotten until yesterday. DH had rang doctor, they said it could be cold, viral infection or possibly flu. Feeling a bit dizzy/grim still but the aches and headache have subsided. I wouldn't have taken Tamiflu if offered or Relenza, just wanted to use the old tried and tested method of fluids and rest. I had normal flu in December and this, whatever it was, was nothing in comparison.

memoo Thu 09-Jul-09 16:28:10

thanks for the reply tangerine.

You have put my mind at rest smile

Picante Thu 09-Jul-09 16:29:37

This is a good page with lots of info.

Habbibu Thu 09-Jul-09 16:31:21

Make sure you practice good hand hygiene - wash your hands thoroughly with hot water and soap frequently, and get other members of household to do the same. Best way to prevent most infections.

memoo Thu 09-Jul-09 18:52:55

thanks habbibu, good advice.

Thats a really good link picante

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now