Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sorry for another swine flu(???) thread

(16 Posts)
JennyPenny22 Tue 07-Jul-09 14:01:19

My DC are 18months and 10 weeks.

They both:
Have runny noses, sneezing and coughing. DD1 has also had a bit of a nose bleed and DD2 has had a bit of gunk from her eyes. Both of them have slept a lot more than usual in the last 24 hours but are not grumpy or upset.

Swine flu is spreading fast in our area and people at DHs work have had it and some have had children with it.

Do I need to do anything or be worried? Please don't flame me - I am just asking incase I should be worrying. I think it is just a normal cold but wanted to check.

CrushWithEyeliner Tue 07-Jul-09 14:02:41

Do they have high fevers?

JennyPenny22 Tue 07-Jul-09 14:10:12

No but I forgot to say that DD1 also has diarrhoea - Dunno about dd2 on that front as she is 10 weeks so just has runny poo anyway.

JennyPenny22 Tue 07-Jul-09 14:13:17

And I myself have a sore throat and am very tired, more than usual. I actualy would have had a nap when the DDs had theirs but I didn't get a chance. But I NEVER have a nap so not quite right. I wouldn't say I was ill though - haven't got any particular symptoms.

Elibean Tue 07-Jul-09 14:50:02

I think, if its swine flu, you will all have temps by tonight. If its colds, you probably won't.

Very general, but thats the way I'd be thinking if it was me smile

I felt a bit sad that you thought you might be flamed or criticized for worrying/asking - sounds quite normal mum-of-small-LOs to me!

Elibean Tue 07-Jul-09 14:50:38

ps hope you're all better soon, whatever it is. If you get worse/high fevers (over 38) you can call you GP or NHS direct for advice.

mumsobusy Tue 07-Jul-09 15:13:53

I have just been informed that a child in Nursery might have swine flu. If my dc child has come in contact how long will it take to show its affect after being in contact with a person with swine flu.

JennyPenny22 Tue 07-Jul-09 16:45:22

Elibean - I have only read one or 2 threads about swine flu but I have seen comments telling people to stop being paranoid/saying they are over reacting etc so just didn't want that sort of thread TBH.

I am not panicking at all, both the girls are very happy so its probably just a cold. Dh is the paranoid one! That said, his work "Partner" has a DS the same age as my DD1 and he was rushed into hospital with it sad. He is OK though now AFAIK. Aparently one of the workers there came into work yesterday with "normal flu" who was obviously very ill and shouldn't of been there, but refused to go home as he couldn't afford not to get paid hmm.

Raeray Tue 07-Jul-09 20:12:14

Hiya
In our local hospital(but i think probably all uk)a clinical diagnosis of swine flu is made if a child has a high temperature plus two or more symptoms including; runny nose, cough, achey joints, diarrhoea.

In our hospital (again i probably think all uk)children under 3 or children with chronic illness (e.g asthma, heart problems, lung problems, neurological problems) are treated with tamiflu. Older than that or without chronic problems, they are more often than not, not treated with tamiflu....

Hope that all makes sense and is helpful to you. THe NHS direct website has a good tool that could help - hopefully your little ones will be feeling better and wont need anything smile

whomovedmychocolate Tue 07-Jul-09 20:21:26

mumsobusy - it takes anything between four hours and 72 hours - sorry I know that's a wide range. One of the problems with flu is that you can go from happy as larry to floored by it in four hours - your temperature will shoot up first though probably.

Pollyanna Tue 07-Jul-09 20:37:57

my ds2 (14 months) has just had it - he had a raging temperature. I have never seen him have such a high temperature. he was also extremely miserable. He did have cold symptoms afterwards, but also a very croaky throat - I presume this was very sore.

my dh also had it - he also had a fever and hig temperature again which shot up from nowhere.

Having said that, their symptoms started between Friday to Sunday - none of the rest of my 4 children or me have had any symptoms [yet]

Pollyanna Tue 07-Jul-09 20:38:49

my ds2 wasn't treated with tamiflu. He has [hopefully] got better on his own.

Numberfour Wed 08-Jul-09 14:51:37

my DS of 4.9 developed a very high fever this morning at about 10ish (preschool was closed for unrelated reasons) and despite have slept nearly 12 hours last night, he napped on the couch. When he woke up he said he felt "like he was dead" (??) and that he could not wake up. I gave him 10ml calpol and fever is down and he is a bit chirpier.

OP, I am also concerned so don't feel bad about posting on here about swine flu!

hope your family is well very soon....

JennyPenny22 Wed 08-Jul-09 18:39:48

numberfour - how is your DS now? I would think you would need to get him checked if he is feeling that bad. Trouble is with mine is that they are too young to tell me anything! DD2 (10 weeks) has been miserable all day but doesn't have a temperature. DD1 has been very coldy and has been coughing a lot and has a croaky voice but has been as happy as anything. Already in bed though but that is not unusual for her.

ladyhelen2 Thu 09-Jul-09 13:28:19

jennypenny how is your 10 week old? I have a 9 week old and its him that I worry about with this. Its spreading fast around my area and whilst I think me DH and my 4 year old could deal with it, my big worry is the baby.
numberfour how is your DS now?

JennyPenny22 Thu 09-Jul-09 17:43:10

Well she is the one I am a bit worried about. She has been so miserable the last few days but no temperature which is why I havent had it checked. She has really gunky eyes but dont think this is a swine flu symptom?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now