Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine Flu and pregnancy....

(9 Posts)
KateyG Mon 06-Jul-09 19:53:33

Hello

Someone in my department at work was diagnosed with the dreaded Swine Flu today. And now I'm not really sure what the bobbins to do!

I'm 32 weeks pregnant, so rang my midwife who said she hadn't had any info on what to tell her pregnant ladies - helpful - but said to treat as any other contagious (sorry my spelling is less than good) disease and to steer clear.

Looked on NHS Direct and pregnant women, especially in 2nd and 3rd trimester are on the high risk list.

Whilst I am more than happy not to go to work, don't want to look like I'm being a drama queen etc. I've just had a week off annual leave... if I stay off for up to another 2 weeks but working from home do you think this is acceptable until they know more at work??? My boss is very good and ticks me off for taking the stairs and working over time etc so don't think she will be wanting me to come in but such a quandry about what to do.....

What do you all think???

maxbear Mon 06-Jul-09 19:59:58

My husband was told at work where there may be a case that pregnant women are at no higher risk.

I believe that this is incorrect but don't think you need to worry too much. Not many people have died and those that have have all had other serious problems.

My understanding is that it is more of a problem in pregnancy as the drugs they usually give you are not advised for pregnant women, also if you do get it you are more likely to get a serious complication like pneumonia, but if you get it whilst preg they would admit you sooner rather than later to stay on top of things.

I am pg too and have told my dh that if he gets it I will go and stay with my mum for a week or so with the kids, just as it seems better avoided if at all possible.

mogend77 Mon 06-Jul-09 20:02:05

I spoke to my midwife today because I found out it has arrived in my village and my mum has had lots of contact with the kids at the local school where it has taken hold.

Midwife said they are advising pregnant women to isolate themselves where possible.

I think if this person has been diagnosed and you have had contact you should have Relenza prescribed so I would contact your GP. And I wouldn't be going in to an infected office if I were you.

KateyG Mon 06-Jul-09 20:24:13

Thanks!

Just heard from my boss - the pitfalls of having a blackberry!! - and she's said to stay at home tomorrow at least while they figure out a risk assessment etc.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 06-Jul-09 20:27:11

KateyG - it would be wise to be off for a week - if you have been already that's great but bear in mind the virus can live on surfaces for 24 hours so if you've used the doors etc you could have been exposed already. Take hygiene precautions and watch for rises in temperature. You would be eligible for Relenza treatment but it needs starting immediately on the onset of treatment (ie don't leave it a day or so to see if it develops).

mrswee Mon 06-Jul-09 20:34:53

Such different advise from what I was given!
They did say on NHS 24 that they are changing advise from day to day as things develope.
The area I live in has not been that hard hit at all maybe that is why they were not too worried.
The person in question has been off work ever since so there has been no more contact and no more cases at the work place, it was a few weeks ago now so everything fine for now.

But they did say to me that they would only give anti virals to pregnant women if they had had contact with a flu carrier AND they were displaying symptoms because they are untested in pregnancy so only want to give them if really required.

mrswee Mon 06-Jul-09 20:37:57

sorry posted in the wrong thread but see my post in the other swine flu thread as it is relevent to you!

KateyG Mon 06-Jul-09 20:48:10

I haven't had direct contact with said person - I don't even know who it is - they won't say... plus I was off all of last week. But I am going to work from home for tomorrow at least if not the rest of the week to make sure all is ok to go back....

Thanks for all the advice though....

mrswee Mon 06-Jul-09 20:54:37

I'm sure you'll be ok then, just keep washing your hands when you go back to work, don't touch your face ect.
Since we had the scare at work I carry a pack of anti bac wipes and wipe down my keyboard, mouse, desk and phone when ever I start for the day because other people use my desk when I'm not around.
I also use wipe on my hands before I eat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now