Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine flu

(11 Posts)
mummynumnum Mon 06-Jul-09 18:56:23

Just found out 2 cases of swine flu in my sch I teach in. I am 8 wkd pregnant. Advised to contact gp tomorrow. Have midwife appt anyway. What are they likely to say?

mrswee Mon 06-Jul-09 19:30:49

They are likly to chec you over to be on the safe side

one of my close colleagues was rushed to hospital recently and was being tested for swine flu.
I am his manager so work very closely with him. We were advised to call NHS 24 if we had any concerns.
I called them and because I am pregnant they gave me a full check up over the phone to see if I needed to be seen by anyone.

The main thing they said was the incubation period is 7 days and they were interested to know if I had had any DIRECT contact with the person within the last 7 days plus if I had any cold of flu type symptoms at all.

I had no symptoms and had only seen him once in early on in the 7 days as he had been off sick. They were not overly worried as there was very little direct contact and the lack of symptoms but kept me on file and said to call back or call my doctor at any point as soon as I felt any flu symptoms.

They were saying that it is not that easy to catch if you have not had direct contact and try to keep you hands clean and wipe down surfaces/door handles ect every so often if a work place has had infected people passing through.

mummynumnum Mon 06-Jul-09 19:32:56

I teach one of the girls in a very small group, but cant remember when she was last in. Going to midwife tomorrow. Worried about whether should go to surgery. Have no symptoms.

mummynumnum Mon 06-Jul-09 20:11:14

And if they suggest anti-virals? Safer for unborn baby to take them or not?

mrswee Mon 06-Jul-09 20:48:40

they said to me they won't give anti virals unless they think you could actually have the flu - that advise could have changed by now I'm not sure.
They said they are untested in pregnancy but have not seen problems with those who have had to take them- They said they can give you an inhaler version which passes less through the placenta.
NHS 24 told me that always better in pregnancy not to medicate in general unless it is more of a risk not to medicate IYSWIM.
I would just go with what ever they say. They very helpful to me and I don't think you have worries about going to the surgery if you have no symptoms.

londonmackem Mon 06-Jul-09 20:53:12

My husband has suspected swine flu but obviously not bothering to test anymore. They just told him not to worry about me unless I developed symptoms (I am 34 weeks). However, I was due to meet a friend today who is about 8 weeks and her doctor said to avoid me!? Very little they can do really.

mummynumnum Mon 06-Jul-09 20:53:31

I have read the nhs blurb and think ok to go to surgery as long as have no symptoms.

mummynumnum Tue 07-Jul-09 08:37:34

Woke up with a bit of a snuffle this morning-paranoia or more serious?????

mummynumnum Tue 07-Jul-09 20:42:16

And now a sore throat!!!

KateyG Tue 07-Jul-09 20:58:03

If you are worried then I would contact your gp - they are bound to be used to telling the paranoia from the real thing....

Best be safe than sorry!

Tubbysmum Tue 07-Jul-09 21:14:51

I think the media has created a huge unnecessary hype about swine flu and got people completely paranoid.

There is also a nasty virus going around at the moment which is just a normal run of the mill cold, but it still makes you feel like crap.

I'm 16 wks pregnant and have just been tested because I have wicked cold symptoms - sore throat, blocked and runny nose, very tired and dazed, slight temperature and work for an LEA where people are in and out of schools on a daily basis. Docs have said that swine flu comes with quite a nasty temperature so I would keep an eye on your temperature just to be sure - if it goes over 38 ring NHS direct again.

Best wishes, I hope you feel better shortly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now