Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Okay, this is probably the millionth "i'm sure its not swine flu but..." thread...

(11 Posts)
ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 06-Jul-09 18:00:16

I'm not too worried about myself, as I know how I'm feeling, but my three year old is also poorly. I am presuming she has the same feelings as I do (as all she says is shes tired and everything hurts)

I have shocking pains in my stomach and back. I feel hot and clammy (though dont seem to have a temperature). I have pains in the side of my neck, a sore throat and a headache. I have an upset stomach and generally feel like shite.

Picked DD up today, she has been complaining she is tired, that everything hurts, and is currently half awake / half asleep on the sofa. Her temp was 38.3 at the last reading.

I dont want to trek to the doctors (as I'm sure we're not supposed to) or phone NHS direct and tie up the lines for general feeling-crappiness in me, or sound like a hysterical parent on the phone as all DD can say is that it hurts everywhere.

So... what to do?

sweetfall Mon 06-Jul-09 18:03:07

you treat it like you would any other bug

you take / give nurofen and calpol

you try ice cream / ice lollies / cold drinks for the throat

strip down / use fans

encourage sleep

stick on tv / film and snuggle down on couch

take it easy until it gets better

it's only a bad bug like a bad cold - if you have no lung or auto-immune condition there's nothing much to be done

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 06-Jul-09 18:06:03

Thanks
She is half awake on the sofa watching Humf. I've given calpol and she's just wearing a t-shirt (as she wont let me take it off).
Will fetch her an ice sucker - she says she isn't hungry and cried through her tea at the childminders.
I take it I dont have to put a cross on the door and am allowed to step foot outside, or not?

sweetfall Mon 06-Jul-09 18:07:25

we've had over the weekend - DD got over it remarkably quickly (couple of days I think)

I don't know if its swine flu or some other bug that's doing the rounds tbh

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 06-Jul-09 18:16:23

My dad had the same symptoms and thought it was food poisioning. We were telling him off for eating eggs grin

I'm also not sure if there is another bug doing the rounds, my boss was off last Mon with what she thought was food poisioning, my stomach feels like it did when I had food poisioning.

Because I dont feel too awful (i.e. not like last time I remember having flu) I dont think its swine flu, but we're in Notts and a few people we know have been sick / awaiting "confirmation" its swine flu.

DD cant decide whether her head or stomach hurts her more, bless her.

Elibean Mon 06-Jul-09 18:43:05

Elf, lots of people with swine flu have said they haven't felt as bad as they did with seasonal flu. It does sound rather like it, tbh, from your description! But either way, makes no difference to how to take care of yourself/ves...as long as no one has trouble breathing etc, just take care of yourselves as usual.

Not sure about isolation part, but tbh I wouldn't want to spread nasty bug of any sort around too much - or go out much feeling like you do!

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 06-Jul-09 18:49:53

Work will be impressed... given that this morning we were discussing our business plan if swine flu was diagnosed in the company. grin

sweetfall Mon 06-Jul-09 18:54:36

I was off work on thursday with food poisoning blush

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 06-Jul-09 18:59:34

I know a few people who say they have had food poisioning lately - I wonder if people have actually had food poisioning or swine flu!

DD has spied her toys and got off the sofa. I'm just about ready to muster having something to eat, but really cant be arsed!

mumto3boys Tue 07-Jul-09 19:08:05

Sounds a lot like waht we've had. 4 year old twins had hacking coughs, 39.5 temps, 'wobbly legs' (how they described it), tummy aches, almost diarrea (can't spell it!). Ended up at out of hours even tho told them of flu sypmtoms. Diagnosed with chest infections, but am sure there was more to it. They asked up if we had been abroad lately, which seemed a bit odd as its all round this country now. There are a few cases locally, so who knows.

Me and dh have had the cough and are now feeling rough. So either we have the same bug as you or we've all had swine flu.

Hoping its swine flu tbh as have been worried as dcs are asthmatic and their asthma hasn't been affected!

ElfOnTheTopShelf Tue 07-Jul-09 20:35:44

Am still feeling poorly, even more so today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now