Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

swine flu and babies

(7 Posts)
Lucretiaa Mon 06-Jul-09 17:53:34

Hi all

I am really just looking for reassurance.

My son is just turned 3 months old and I am petrified about swine flu.
My OH works in a school (11 - 18 year olds) which isn't helping my worry, especially with them saying that if it continues at this rate there will be 40 deaths a day by August

I know that the morality rate would/will be highest in babies under 6 months... I was wondering if anyone knows any babies under 6 months who have had swine flu and been ok? And how they coped with it?
Right now I am so worried that I feel I cannot even enjoy being a mummy

Elibean Mon 06-Jul-09 18:06:05

I have a friend who said almost exactly the same to a group of us at school drop-off the other day...her ds is 3 weeks old. I'm so sorry flu is getting in the way of you enjoying your mummy-hood...totally understand your anxiety, just sad

FWIW, those 40 per day projected deaths would be out of the 100,000 per day new flu cases, which is VERY very few in reality. And I would think a high proportion of those would be 'underlying health issue' patients, rather than babies of any age.

That said, why not call your GP/HV and ask for protocol in event of infection? I would want to know what to do, and what the options were, ahead of time...always helps a bit to feel less out of control, I think.

Lucretiaa Mon 06-Jul-09 20:40:52

thank you hun I just obviously dont know what I would do if anything ever happened to him, as it is I am a worrier, and always worried about SIDS etc, now this is just another thing to add to my list.

Every little cough or sneeze he does now has me freaking out!

whomovedmychocolate Mon 06-Jul-09 20:45:38

I know it's hard not to panic but really you have no need to. Chances are that your baby would not even contract it - babies don't have that hectic social lives you know, especially under six months. Keep out of the GP surgery, maintain good hygiene yourself, breastfeed if you can - so if you get it you pass on antibodies. Once your baby is a few months old you can give Calpol to reduce temperatures, the really important thing is to keep down the baby's temp. Babies under 1 year will generally be admitted to hospital if they do contract swine flu as a precaution though.

cath3435 Fri 17-Jul-09 17:57:13

Hi, I also have baby boy who is 3.5 months as well as a 14 yr old a 6yr old and a 4 yr old. I am so scared that my 3 month old might get swine flu. He currently has a cold and cough which is adding to my worry. He was born with phenomia and was in LDU for a week on antbiotics, and I feel this will weaken him, also I was unable to breastfeed which is devastating enough in itself without the worry that he is not fully protected because of it. I am worrying constantly, I cant leave him for a minute.

laurawantsababy Fri 17-Jul-09 20:07:46

I too am very scared for my 1 yo dd.

Is the best way to tell in little ones by temperature and just how they are?

Lucretiaa Sat 18-Jul-09 18:40:54

My son also has a cough and a cold so very worried.. he has his next jabs on monday so am gonna get them to check him over then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now