Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine flu - any experience of whether they're even treating it in London?

(17 Posts)
keepmumshesnotsodumb Sun 05-Jul-09 18:54:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 05-Jul-09 19:27:15

If its several days its pretty much too late for tamiflu anyway.
I think the tamiflu is at the doctors discretion now, but the at risk category definitely shouldnt be just the over 65s, especially as they are a group who are hardly getting this strain.

Ewe Sun 05-Jul-09 19:29:31

Under 5's are def in the at risk category and to my knowledge are still being treated in London, have a friend in SE London whose three year old has it and is on Tamiflu.

However, at this late stage there is indeed no point in having it as it ideally needs to be started within 24-48 hours of the flu symptoms starting.

Ewe Sun 05-Jul-09 19:31:04

Those who are more at risk from becoming seriously ill with swine flu are:
people with chronic lung disease,
people with chronic heart disease,
people with chronic kidney disease,
people with chronic liver disease,
people with chronic neurological disease,
people with suppressed immune systems (whether caused by disease or treatment),
people with diabetes,
people who have had drug treatment for their asthma within the past three years,
pregnant women,
people aged 65 years and older, and
young children under five years old.
For specific advice on antiviral treatment for these groups, go to People with long-term conditions, Pregnancy and children and Older people.

From NHS Website.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 05-Jul-09 19:33:18

Good to see clarification about asthma.

Elibean Sun 05-Jul-09 19:39:30

Poor love, hope she's better v soon.

I asked our HV about the protocol the other day (fair bit of it around our area) and she said the same as Ewe re at risk groups.

Which covers dh (asthma, virus triggered, quite bad), dd1 (5 with mild virus-triggered asthma) and dd2 (2.5 with laryngomalacia)...and yes, it has to be within first 48 hrd or no point.

Elibean Sun 05-Jul-09 19:42:32

Sorry, meant to say - am in SW London. Hence posting smile

keepmumshesnotsodumb Sun 05-Jul-09 19:52:30

angrypixie Sun 05-Jul-09 19:54:43

I'm in SW London and we have had first case reported in DD school. They are not closing the school and we have been told to treat it as 'bog standard' flu eg rest, fluids, painkillers as necessary. The GP confirmed that they will not be testing anyone not in the 'at risk' category.

All fine, but then I wonder how we have a 'confirmed case' if they are not bothering to test anymore?

keepmumshesnotsodumb Sun 05-Jul-09 20:00:03

Spatz Mon 06-Jul-09 08:37:34

Both my kids (at school in central london) most likely have it. Yr 4 had only 9 out of 28 in on Fri although the head thought some of those were the 'worried well'.

DD (8) was offered tamiflu by the GP because she has had a cough for a couple of months and the flu caused scary breathing problems. Quite a few of her classmates have been given tamiflu. GP advised it has nausea side-effects and the 2 I know who've taken it have thrown up afterwards.

DS (6) seems pretty mild with it - a bit of a cough and a temperature, but pretty bouncy too.

hazeyjane Mon 06-Jul-09 09:01:00

Dd's have been ill for the last few days, dd2 quite mildly and dd1 really ill, both vomiting, coughing, high temperature etc. We spoke to NHS direct yesterday and they said that it sounded as though it was swine flu, they are confirming over the phone now, although this can mean that you can't be certain whether it is swine flu or not. Dd1 (3.4) has asthma but she said that unless her breathing was becoming adversely affected she would not be treated. Her advice was to treat as normal flu, but contact doctor/hospital if symptoms weren't clearing or breathing affected.

Hope your dd starts feeling better soon (dd1 seems loads better this morning, she started being ill on Thursday)

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 06-Jul-09 10:20:08

Hope all your kids are feeling better soon.

Elibean Mon 06-Jul-09 12:07:17

I'm a bit confused as to the protocol for asthma sufferers...surely, if they wait to see if breathing problems develop, it will be past the first 48 hours that Tamiflu works anyway? hmm

No doubt will find out in due course!

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 06-Jul-09 12:09:58

Elibean - exactly my thoughts.

keepmumshesnotsodumb Mon 06-Jul-09 12:51:36

Elibean Mon 06-Jul-09 13:26:38

Very glad she's better today smile

I am going to be a squeaky wheel when it comes to the asthmatics in my family, and Tamiflu, I'm afraid...dh has adult onset asthma, which is (only) triggered by viruses and is quite severe. Both dds get it mildly, but dd2 has a narrowed airway and dd1 gets chest infections at the drop of a hat without a brown inhaler when she catches a cold.

Luckily, my GP has known me a long time and will expect nothing else than lots of questions wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now