Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

my daughter has swine flu

(72 Posts)
alisha29 Sat 04-Jul-09 18:36:24

has had a positive result for swine flu but they said they wont be treating her or her other siblings. what are peoples thoughts??

MegGriffin Sat 04-Jul-09 18:50:07

How is she?

expatinscotland Sat 04-Jul-09 18:52:27

All three of mine had swine flu at ages 5, 3 and 7 months.

They don't usually need any treatment other than lots of fluids and ibu/paracetamol unless they have underlying conditions or someone in the house has an underlying health condition.

LupusinaLlamasuit Sat 04-Jul-09 19:11:49

I think it is absolutely right that TAmiflu is not offered now, since the virus is spreading freely and rapidly now.

Reasons not to are:

- most cases are mild and people recover well it seems

- the people who really need it are people with health issues which could worsen flu outcomes; and essential workers including health professionals. If the NHS issues Tamiflu to everyone when all it will do is limit some not very serious symptoms for most it will threaten supplies when they will be needed later

- there is already evidence of a Tamiflu resistant strain in Denmark. The more unnecessary treatment is used, the higher the likelihood of resistant strains circulating sooner.

I do hope your daughter feels better soon.

expatinscotland Sat 04-Jul-09 19:15:18

I agree Lupusina. Save the Tamiflu for the people who could get incredibly ill or worse from flu.

alisha29 Sat 04-Jul-09 19:21:08

she has got rid of the temperture but still has other syptoms no wonder swine flu is spreading like wild fire considering all are not been treated and told to go back to school

hercules1 Sat 04-Jul-09 19:22:21

There is not point shutting schools as you can get it from anywhere and it does not contain it when schools are shut.

expatinscotland Sat 04-Jul-09 19:22:40

'no wonder swine flu is spreading like wild fire considering all are not been treated and told to go back to school'

it is now being treated just like any other strain of influenza, which for now, it is.

for the most part, it is milder in most of the afflicted than other strains of influenza.

LupusinaLlamasuit Sat 04-Jul-09 19:26:13

alisha, it is now uncontainable, the point of closing schools and treating all people who had been in contact with flu sufferers originally was 'containment' which means if they could isolate, treat and effectively quarantine all cases, they could slow and limit the spread of the virus.

That is no longer possible since people are just as likely to catch it outside of closed institutions like schools, as they are in.

Schools may yet be closed again in the autumn if new more nasty strains emerge, or if absenteeism is too great.

hercules1 Sat 04-Jul-09 19:27:56

Lupus - what are the experts saying about the possibility of it mutating to something more dangerous?

MrsGum Sat 04-Jul-09 19:34:36

if you come into contact with someone with it, presumably you will defantely get it?

alisha29 Sat 04-Jul-09 19:36:22

no i said they are telling me my daughter and other silbings (MY other children) can go back to school un treated, i didnt say shut the school.

foxinsocks Sat 04-Jul-09 19:36:34

I don't know MrsGum. I was in direct contact with someone with swine flu and didn't get it <yet>.

hercules1 Sat 04-Jul-09 19:37:26

Why should your children be treated before going back to school?

alisha29 Sat 04-Jul-09 19:40:58

i not suprised this has spread with peoples attuitudes.. because errrr they are ill as not to pass it on to kids more vunrable<< shaking my head>>>

foxinsocks Sat 04-Jul-09 19:42:47

well they don't treat normal flu like that and that's dangerous for immuno compromised people too

alisha29 Sat 04-Jul-09 19:43:39

my doctor told me we would be treated last week but the doctors at the hospital said no.im surpised doctors know how to wipe their arse, one says one thing another says another

alisha29 Sat 04-Jul-09 19:44:59

yes sorry i forgot people havent died from swine flu have they?? silly megrin

hercules1 Sat 04-Jul-09 19:46:23

Unless your children are vulnerable they dont need treatment. It's like any other flu. If they havent got it then you cant treat them anyway.

Greensleeves Sat 04-Jul-09 19:48:10

we've just had it

it's very nasty but a long way from life-threatening, in our case - ds2 was delirious and unable to walk two days ago but today he was pottering about playing, although still coughing and snotty

but I wouldn't be too complacent, it's very unpleasant. I've had flu a few times and this one definitely came with bells on

hercules1 Sat 04-Jul-09 19:49:42

The people who have died from it in this country had underlying medical conditions already and could have died (as many do) from any other sort of flu in the same way.

alisha29 Sat 04-Jul-09 19:49:49

yes you can my DOCTOR said ' if test comes back for dh1 positive the other children will be treated including me'

lisad123 Sat 04-Jul-09 19:51:32

well i have been in contact with someone with possible swine flu but not showing any signs of it. DH has a script here for the anti virals "just in case" with strict instruction to go and get it if he develops any signs. He has leukemia. I havent been given anything.
I dont think doctors are suggesting sending sick kids back to school, but certainly shouldnt be closing schools.

hercules1 Sat 04-Jul-09 19:55:15

The NHS website states that it should not be given to people who have not had it confirmed as it's pointless as they will continue to come into contact with it in teh community.

misdee Sat 04-Jul-09 19:55:32

yesterday dd3 wa sshowing the saigns of swine flyu and is being treated as if she has it. however today, apart from slightly raised temp, and saying her legs ache, she is fine. she has been playing and asking for toast all day.

yesterday she was v v ill.

however she has a tendancy to bounce back quickly from most illnesses. i will be sending her back to school on tuesday/weds once her course of tanmiflu has been completed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now