Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How do I know if it's swine flu, or just regular flu?

(41 Posts)
LynetteScavo Wed 01-Jul-09 21:47:32

And does it matter?

DH is quite poorly and has taken to bed with all of the swine flu symptoms. I don't think it is swine flu as we've all been poorly (a few days off school/nursery/ work) and bounced back; DH just seems to be suffereing more than we did, and we are in one of the current SF hot spots.

LynetteScavo Wed 01-Jul-09 22:32:43

?

Dalrymps Wed 01-Jul-09 22:34:26

What symptoms does he have? I am ill but just feels like a cold to me, how are we supposed to tell the difference?

Bumping for you...

gemmiegoatlegs Wed 01-Jul-09 22:41:52

as it is not 'normal' flu season in the Uk, I think most cases are likely to be confirmed as swine flu, especially if you are part of a town/city with confirmed cases,as it is very possible you (and many of us) could have been infected. The health service are no longer waiting for lab results to confirm swine flu, but diagnosing based on clinical symptoms.

I would go to your GP to confirm your suspicions but you don't need to treat it any differently to having regular flu. rest up, plenty of fluids, painkillers etc

Pyrocanthus Wed 01-Jul-09 22:43:52

I think you have to be tested to be sure, but if it really is flu, is there any other sort about at the moment? I think the first thing that doctors are asking at the moment is have you had any contact with anyone who has had it?

If you are in a hotspot, it might be a good idea to contact the doc tomorrow (obviously sooner if you're worried about him).

Pyrocanthus Wed 01-Jul-09 22:50:50

x-posted with gemmiegoatlegs, who sounds more well-informed.

LynetteScavo Wed 01-Jul-09 22:51:33

I won't bother dragging him to the doctors - he'll just be left in bed unless he thinks he needs antibiotics.

His symptoms are;
fever,
sudden cough, - but only a tickly cough
headache,
tiredness,
chills,
aching muscles,
sore throat,
runny nose,
sneezing, and
loss of appetite.

tiredsville Wed 01-Jul-09 23:03:30

dh has arrived home tonight with sore throat, fever and diarroea. He has been in contact with someone with swine flu so I think this is where the fun begins in this household sad

LynetteScavo Wed 01-Jul-09 23:05:44

Just make him sleep in the garden; it's warm enough!

oopsagain Wed 01-Jul-09 23:19:46

aqll of those were on the list of symptoms for swine flu when our school closed because if it.
I don't think they are bothring testing anymore.

just treat as you would normal flu i reckon.

LynetteScavo Wed 01-Jul-09 23:22:14

How long does it last? We were all up and running again after a few days, which made me think it wasn't flu. I had flu as a child and was off school for 2 weeks.

oopsagain Wed 01-Jul-09 23:38:00

i was ill 24hrs and tired a few days afterwards.
ds1 was ill 2 days...

it is alot less than the other flu bugs i've had in the past tbh.

slummymummy36 Thu 02-Jul-09 00:12:25

Hmmmm! I was wondering this myself! Touch wood I still feel healthy, but my girls are at school with 2 suspected cases.

We all (except eldest DD who has the Flu jab because of pre existing meds) had seasonal flu just before Xmas last year. It came on suddenly with with fever, chills, raing temp, headaches, sore throat, cough etc etc. Youngest DD also had V & D. I have to say in my 36 years on this earth I have had proper seasonal Flu three times and this was deffo a real dose. I was flat in my back for 5 days literally only able to drag myself from the ed to the loo when needed. Kind of driftin in and out of a feverish sleep for days on end. I then felt ill and off for a floowing week and very weak for another 3 weeks or so.

GP said Flu (seasonal) comes on suddenly. Its not a bad cold that builds up to a nasty cold with nasty symptoms, it does just hit you very suddenly.

I have no idea with this Swine Flu - how you tell. It also seems a bit of a postcode lottery as to how you get dealt with/treated if you have any flu like symptoms.

Really sorry I can offer no Swine Flu help. Hope you feel better soon.

tiredsville Thu 02-Jul-09 13:32:42

well dh has woken up feeling OKish and even went to the gym although came back feeling dodgy. The person from work who tested positive for swine flu only had 24hr symptoms and binned the Tamiflu which was prescribed.
I'm really hoping this is a case of swine flu he has/had, 24hrs I can handle, but certainly not any of this 'in bed for a week dying then months of coughing and fatigue' which would normally be the case for me...

artichokes Thu 02-Jul-09 13:36:57

Don't go to the GP for confirmation. All Gps are asking for those with flu symptoms to keep away and use the phone if they are concerned. You are likely to risk infecting weak people at the GPs.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 02-Jul-09 13:55:44

I think that you are supposed to stay at home for 5-7 days? at least until all the fluey symptoms have cleared up because although its a short lived bug for some, it is also a pretty serious bug for some.
I've heard that with some people the symptoms can get better for a couple of days and then come back with a vengeance, so don't be surprised if that happens.
def don't go to gp. If concerned, phone and ask for advice either from nhsdirect or gp.

beanieb Thu 02-Jul-09 14:12:32

My OH has been off work for a day and a half and thinks he has Swine Flu. Am trying to resist the urge to just tell him it's man flu.

Anyway - the doctor is coming to do a swab and to give him tamiflu!!!! As far as I know there are no cases here but we just got back from Glastonbury Festival so maybe whatever he's got he has picked up there?!

jumpingbeans Thu 02-Jul-09 14:14:48

lynnettescarvo - put him in the garen, its warm enough, pmsl, you are all heart you are

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 02-Jul-09 14:15:16

look after him beanieb then if you get it you can really go for the full dying swan act! (write out how you'd like to be treated now - bit like a birth plan but its a flu plan grin )

LynetteScavo Thu 02-Jul-09 14:43:23

Well DH dragged hisef into work after a sweaty night.(He's self employed and has staff off on holiday) Probably infecting loads of pople as we speak.

weegiemum Thu 02-Jul-09 14:46:01

At the moment swine flu is much milder than normal flu.

"Just" normal flu would be a much worse thing to get.

They keep going on about swine flu, but an otherwise perfectly healthy woman (one of my friend's sisters) died in March of "normal" flu - one of 10,000 who die in the UK every year of it.

Swine Flu currently seems to be a better option!

weegiemum Thu 02-Jul-09 14:46:52

Man-flu, of course, is always life-threatening! grin

Countingthegreyhairs Thu 02-Jul-09 14:49:04

Just for info:

dh was ill recently having returned from a business trip to the States (in a swine flu area)

He was really ill with chills, high temp, fatigue, horrible sore throat, back and neck ache, runny nose but because he didn't have any cough, the doctor ruled out swine fever.

lucykate Thu 02-Jul-09 14:50:49

man flu

tiredsville Thu 02-Jul-09 17:17:06

Any news on the swine flu vaccine for autumn?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now